We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

Winter Haven...
Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

This is my first post, so I hope I am in the right spot. Am I crazy to book a flight from FCO arriving at - one hopes - 4:38 PM and catch a 7:10 PM flight to Orlando/MCO with a GE card? Same airline, but I believe I have to go from terminal 4 to 2. I can't really take an earlier flight from Rome.

Thanks for any help.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

Assuming your first flight is on time and all the flights are on a single ticket then I think a connection window of around 2.5 hours will be fine - if these are separately ticketed flights you carry the risk if the first flight from Rome is delayed.

DC
reviews: 1
2. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

If you don't have any checked luggage, no problem. If you do, then GE just means that you're first at the carousel. You're still probably okay, especially if there's a GE lane for customs (I don't know about this at JFK).

Winter Haven...
3. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

Thanks, I appreciate both of you responding. I decided to chance it, as the worst that can happen is a night at JFK, and I really needed to take that 12:50 flight from FCO. Both flights are on a single ticket, but I will have checked luggage.

Jackson, Michigan
4. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

At JFK, after you collect your bags, GE allows you to go to the front of the line. When you approach the desk, there is a sign to direct GE holders, which puts you in front of everyone else.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
5. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

It sounds like you are on Delta so they have a dedicated shuttle that will take you from 4 to 2 within security so you won't have to do security again at 2.

I have done that sort of change in under 2 hrs. with carryon and no Global Entry so you should be fine!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

Riff, since she's going to have to go through customs, won't she have to security again regardless?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
7. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

I mean she won't have to go through security at the new terminal with all the other travelers who are just arriving when changing from 4 to 2.

Edited: 9:16 pm, August 17, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

Well, she'll have to go through security again at either 4 or 2; I'm not sure that dealing with the shuttle is actually the fastest way to transfer.

Winter Haven...
9. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

I want to thank everyone for this information. Another question - would it be better to go thru security again at T4 or T2? Which would be faster? Most posts on flyertalk.com recommend security at T4 & the Delta shuttle, but they were older posts. I haven't been thru JFK since 2007. Thanks again.

Edited: 3:48 pm, August 19, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
10. Re: Connecting flight from Rome thru JFK with Global Entry

IF the OP arrives at terminal 4 and goes through security right after customs and takes the Delta shuttle to Terminal 2 she can then walk straight to her gate.

IF the OP arrives at terminal 4 and goes through security right after customs and decides to take the airtrain to terminal 2 then she'll have to go through general security again when she gets there since she'll be outside of security at that point. Why go through it twice?