We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia

Wyckoff, New Jersey
reviews: 1
Alitalia

Haven't seen any recent info on Alitalia in the forums.We are planning a trip to Rome in May, 2014 for a cruise, and looking into airlines traveling to Rome. Alitalia has some interesting ways to use mileage if you join their club, Mille Miglia. Anyone have any recent experience with Alitalia?

26 replies to this topic
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Alitalia

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/alit.htm

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Alitalia

They are a bit better than they used to be but there would have to be a big price difference for me to fly with them again, read the reviews from the lin Hans has given you.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
3. Re: Alitalia

My opinion on Alitalia is very simple...

No.

Plano, Texas...
4. Re: Alitalia

Eh. Flew FCO-BOS a few years back. A330 seat pitch was very cramped, won't recline. IFE is nice though. FAs a bit on the impatient side. Would take other airlines if possible.

Arcadia, California
reviews: 22
5. Re: Alitalia

Geo, are they really that bad? I'm flying with them to Rome next month in business class -award ticket- and later on to Moscow, and I hope that I can come back and post a good review. Meanwhile, I'm keeping my fingers crossed;-)

London, United...
reviews: 474
6. Re: Alitalia

Depending on the routes. The ones operated by ex-Air One are better after the merge but I am not sure how they progressed from there. Routes using old Alitalia planes are not recommended as they are way too old.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
7. Re: Alitalia

Alitalia planes? Over the Atlantic You will always be on a code share AF or Delta plane....

Somerset, UK
reviews: 226
8. Re: Alitalia

ALITALIA - Arrive Late In Turin All Luggage In Athens.

Battle, United...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Alitalia

SpineyNorman's comment is hilarious and not far off the truth.

In our experience, the rudeness of the ground staff was matched only by their sheer incompetence. We were advised that we should be at Heathrow around 45 mins - 1 hour before the flight but we decided to allow ourselves a good 1 hour 45 minutes yet, 20 minutes before the flight, we were still waiting to check in luggage even though the staff at the desk were allowing other passengers in front us (despite the fact that they were catching later flights).

I really do not appreciate ground crew rolling their eyes at me when asking if they might kindly open up a second desk (3 had reduced to 1 during our wait). Suppose I really should not have been surprised that they also failed to deliver one of the bags and then proceeded to lie to us about when they were going to deliver it.

We have travelled to Italy for an 8 day stay, yet it took them 5 days to deliver the "misplaced" luggage <it apparently arrived later the same day) and we then had to travel an hour to meet the courier at a convenient location in order to get it.. We had to cancel plans, miss appointments and this ruined the holiday. Completely useless.

As frequent family visitors to Italy we will not fly with them again and as a frequent business flyer, I wouldn't dream of flying with them or recommending them to others based upon this shocking experience. If we manage to get home, with luggage intact, I'll be amazed.

Just to conclude, when we commented upon the difficulties we had in checking our luggage in at the departure desk, the comment we received back was "passengers always bring their problems". Dreadful, quite dreadful.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
10. Re: Alitalia

<<<ALITALIA - Arrive Late In Turin All Luggage In Athens.

I always thought that the best way to miss a connection and loose the luggage would be going with BA through Heathrow....

Reply to: Alitalia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted