We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand one up

Palmerston North
reviews: 18
Air New Zealand one up

Hi all, has anyone used air nz's one up upgrade service where you make an offer to upgrade a class and a few days prior to your flight they will either accept of decline your offer?

I am wanting to do this on a flight from Auckland to Papeete but am unsure of how much to "offer". Obviously I don't want to pay full tote for business class, but what is a realistic offer /bare minimum to offer? Flights in economy class were $450 each way pp and there appears to be no premium economy.

27 replies to this topic
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Air New Zealand one up

They usually give you a minimum that you can bid and that's what people usually offer, I wouldn't bid any more than this.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
2. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Would you really bother for such a short flight?

London, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Air New Zealand one up

I'm very familiar with OneUp. If there is no premium economy, then you would upgrade to business on the 767, which has a wider reclining seat (to a 45 degree angle with footrests) with better meals, lounge access (and use of the premium check in area with priority security and immigration). It is up to you as to how much you value having space, recline, better food and a more relaxing airport experience.

Essentially your bid will be considered against others, although those with Air NZ Airpoints Gold Elite, Gold and SIlver status get their bids uplifted by 50, 30 and 10% respectively.

Bidding the absolute minimum almost never works, but plenty of people do succeed with "weak" bids if you go to the site for bidding you can use the sliding scale to see how much is a "weak" bid and select that.

Personally on this route I'd bid for an upgrade on the way back a little more, simply because it is an hour longer and essentially an overnight flight, and the main value of business class is having more room and it being easier to sleep.

Another guide is to do a search for the price of a business class ticket on the days you are booked in economy, it will give you an idea of the price difference. Doesn't seem to be much point in bidding an amount that isn't much below actually paying for it, but a bid for half the difference or less would seem to be reasonable value - if you want to do it.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 160
4. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Hi Libertscott knows what he is talking about.

I can't see any records of one-up bids (successful or otherwise) on this route on another site I look at.

However, you can do some checking yourself. You can try booking up to 9 business class seats on that flight. That will tell you if there are at least that number available.

A more accurate check is to actually do a dummy booking for a business class seat - using your own or a made-up name. Before you confirm and pay for the booking it will take you to 'seat selection'. That will let you know accurately how many seats in business are free at that time.

If there are only a few your bid will need to be higher. If it's nearly empty then the reverse will apply.

However, you should bear in mind that AirNZ does not necessarily accept low bids even if seats are available. They can, and do, leave empty seats in business class.

Hope this helps a bit, but it really is somewhat of a lottery in what is still a relatively new system. Personally, I far preferred the old system where one applied for an upgrade with a set amount of points and then were accepted if seats were available and there were no others with higher status ahead of you.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 160
5. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Hi again

I see that on at least at some times of the year a 777-200 is used as well as a 767 on another day. There is also a code-share flight.

Business Premier on the 777-200 has lie flat seats which the 767 does not have. That may affect the bid you want to make. And you're quite right, PE is not available on the 777-200 flight to that destination, same system on all short haul flights. It never is on the 767s or A320s.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 138
6. Re: Air New Zealand one up

I've used the one up service three times, successfully, on flights from Perth to Auckland.

I looked at the difference in price between PE and business, halved it and bid around $100 under that amount. Four friends who made really weak bids were refused.

Palmerston North
reviews: 18
7. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Thank you everyone :) I will give it a go.

London, United...
8. Re: Air New Zealand one up

how did this turn out sammie?

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
9. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Last June (2013) we bid on the upgrade from Rarotonga to Los Angeles. I bid $250.00US each and got 5 seats. This was great, because that flight is 10 hours. Chuck.

Palmerston North...
10. Re: Air New Zealand one up

Blackbelt4Dan Were you bidding to upgrade from Economy or Premium Economy to Business with your $US250 bids? Presumably the latter

Reply to: Air New Zealand one up
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted