We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

Washington DC...
reviews: 10
Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

There are flights on Emirates from Washington DC to Kuala Lumpur. I am considering this but want some feedback from those who have taken ECONOMY class on long haul flights with Emirates.

Any comment on their service, etc ? There is a 12 hour layover and perhaps can do something in the city for a bit.

I am hearing too many negatives about Qatar Airways.

Brisbane Aus
reviews: 92
1. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

We have flown Emirates from BNE to DXB which is a 14 hour flight. We then travelled 7 hours to Barcelona and later on Rome to BNE via DXB and SIN. A very long flight!!

We were very happy with the service etc. we booked seats at the rear of the plane where the aircraft narrows and there are a few rows of two seats rather than the three. Much nicer not having to climb over strangers.

Where is your stopover?

Washington DC...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

I am heading from IAD to Kuala Lumpur. The stopover will be in Dubai

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

I've flown both Emirates and Qatar in economy. I found Qatar more comfortable (more space) than Emirates. I have another Emirates flight in two weeks, but that is to use some Skywards points before they expire.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
4. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

Flown emirate numerous times from Auckland to Europe. They are my airline of choice. Always happy with them.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
5. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

I would personally choose an airline which does not entail a 12 hour layover to an already long flight.

There must be dozens of other better options.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

The inflight experience in economy is far better and more consistent on QR than on EK.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 288
7. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

"I've flown both Emirates and Qatar in economy. I found Qatar more comfortable (more space) than Emirates":

It all depends on the aircraft: QR has a good economy product on B777s but an appalling one on A330s. And sometime they even use A320 for 6+ hours flights. In addition, Doha airport is a disaster. Out of the three Gulf airlines, clearly the worst on average.

EK has a good economy class, but honestly nothing to write home about. In Dubai, provided you can leave the airport, you can catch the metro and go down-town (it's a short ride) or on Sheikh Zayed road. What you want to do there depends on you (so many possibilities there! You can even ski!). Why don't you visit the Dubai TA pages and read the local forum?

Edited: 6:20 am, August 17, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
8. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

but an appalling one on A330s

-----------------------------------

That's your opinion - not mine. Have you flown EK A330's recently?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 288
9. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

Hans,

The A330 is the smallest aircraft operated by EK and is used for short and medium haul flights. You cannot compare it with QR A330s that are operated on long haul routes. It is like if you were comparing BA B767s used for European flights with BA B767s used for long haul flights. Different products for different markets. No comparison possible.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
10. Re: Emirates Airlines - Long Haul FLights

EK also use A330s on new routes - whether short, medium or long haul;-)