We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

Denver, Colorado
Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

I've been trying to book my airfare to Hawaii for quite some time but I can't quite pull the trigger. I've been watching the prices for basically the entire year and it really hasn't budged at all. The problem is I have an open-jaw ticket and I'm confused with doing a multiple destination trip or buying one-way tickets.

I am traveling from Kansas City (MCI) to Kauai (LIH). Then I am departing Maui (OGG) back to Kansas City. I've already purchased my two interisland flights from Kauai to Oahu and Oahu to Maui so I'm having to work around that.

I am wanting to depart Kansas City on either Dec 6th or 7th and depart Maui some time between Dec 26th-28th.

The problem is if I do the example below as a multi-destination through United it comes up as $1012 per ticket.

12/7 MCI to LIH

12/26 OGG to MCI

But if I do just a one-way ticket through United from MCI to LIH on Dec 7th it shows as $1293 per ticket! Why is that?

But, if I look on kayak it shows a one-way ticket from MCI to LIH on 12/7 for $359 and a one-way ticket from OGG to MCI on 12/26 for $473 so a total of $832 for both.

Why is the United website showing one-way tickets so high and not letting me see what kayak is showing me? Any suggestions on how to get this itinery to work?

9 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

Kayak is a search engine that shows flights from many different airlines and also those sold by 3rd party sites like Expedia/Travelocity etc.

It is quite normal for one way flights to be more expensive than a round trip even if the round trip is a multi city itinerary.

Kayak can be wrong and show flights that don't really exist or flights with the itineraries that have short time between legs. Kayak will tell you on which web site they found the flight.

If you can't find it on the United site then it is not there.

On the United site you can search flights by both price or schedule not sure which you are using when you look on that site. Searching by schedule will show all flights.

Searching by price will only show a certain number of the lower priced flights.

UK
reviews: 84
2. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

Why is the United website showing one-way tickets so high and not letting me see what kayak is showing me?

=======

Probably because Kayak is getting its prices from websites that, are, to all intents and purposes, lying. They advertise a fare at say $359 and then when someone tries t buy it they come back and say "oh sorry thats sold " but we have this one at only $759 or something along those lines.

Unless you are saying these prices are United prices from Uniteds website that Kayak is showing? In that case, I have no idea.

Denver, Colorado
3. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

I've been searching by lowest available fare on the United website so I think it's showing me all the prices.

That's interesting that kayak shows fares that aren't available. I had no idea. I guess I should stop using that to track the prices. Thanks for the help!

UK
4. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

That's interesting that kayak shows fares that aren't available. I had no idea. I guess I should stop using that to track the prices.

------

Just ignore the ones that aren't from an airline.

Denver, Colorado
5. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

So now I just looked on kayak again at the one-way tickets since they are listed as directly though United. I clicked through and it took me to United's website and pulled up the ticket with the listed price. I'm guessing it's not showing me the ticket on United's website because some of the flights are through Skywest Airlines dba United Express? I don't know. There's several layovers but the long flight to Hawaii is a 757. Is Skywest still through United where I could get ff miles? Doing one-way tickets is fine, right?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

Doing two one ways is fine. If you are buying from uniteds website, it does not matter if it is united express operated by Skywest. It's a united flight and you'll get miles if you have a united frequent flier number.

It's not uncommon to find price differences from two one ways to an open jaw. I usually check both options.

Edited: 2:45 pm, August 16, 2013
UK
7. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

No problem with one ways.

Can't answer the question about skywest though, try googling or ask on the united forum on Flyertalk,

Illinois
reviews: 16
8. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

I've always gotten FF miles on United Express flights. It's just that the regional flights aren't actually operated by United.

Denver, Colorado
9. Re: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way

Thanks everyone! I knew there had to be a way to save a little bit. This should save me about $300 for two people.

Reply to: Question on open-jaw ticket vs one-way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted