We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine in checked baggage.

Southport, Australia
reviews: 55
wine in checked baggage.

I am of to Hamilton Island next week and thought of taking some wine in my checked baggage. Apart from the threat of it breaking do the airlines allow this? We are staying in a private apartment so thought this a good idea to save money. And while on the subject would a carton of beer be allowed? Many thanks.

27 replies to this topic
Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 13
1. Re: wine in checked baggage.

I've certainly flown with wine in my checked luggage (returning from one of the southern wine regions) - usually just have a carton marked as fragile. If I only have 1 or 2 bottles then I take it as hand luggage. I've never had a breakage but it certainly could happen.

No idea what the policy on bringing your own alcohol to HI is. I imagine it depends on where you are staying. Perhaps posting on the HI forum might be a good idea?

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 13
2. Re: wine in checked baggage.

From the Qantas website on dangerous goods in baggage:

"Alcoholic beverages, when in retail packagings, containing more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume, in receptacles not exceeding 5L, with a total net quantity per person of 5L."

You can have it either in checked or carryon luggage but remember your weight for your carryon luggage.

Jetstar uses Qantas rules and Virgin also has the same limits with the addition that you aren't allowed to consume any alcohol that you bring on board.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: wine in checked baggage.

That would be mighty potent wine to be over 24% alcohol!

Take as much as you like but I would make sure each bottle was wrapped in polystyrene tubes and sealed in a ziplock or similar bag so that if it broke it didn't end up all over your suitcase. If you are into cask wine, take it out of the box and just pack the bladder but again in a watertight bag.

Southport, Australia
reviews: 55
4. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Thank you all so much.

UK
reviews: 81
5. Re: wine in checked baggage.

Several bottles of wine and a carton of beer would weigh a fair bit check how that works with your luggage allowance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
6. Re: wine in checked baggage.

I'm assuming you've already contacted the bottle shop on the island?

If you haven't, I would think this is probably a good idea - at least for the beer.

And it's a good suggestion by joe to bear in mind the overall weight allowance, not just how much alcohol is permitted.

Edited: 3:08 am, August 16, 2013
South Pole
reviews: 39
7. Re: wine in checked baggage.

it has always been my impression that if u can afford to go to Hamilton island (why u would want to is another question) u can afford the grog prices there.

;-)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
8. Re: wine in checked baggage.

They would be allowed but your case is going to be pretty heavy if you include beer so first check with the airlines to see the baggage regulations.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 64
9. Re: wine in checked baggage.

There are airlines that still allow you to carry bottles of wine in your carry-on? (and I don't mean duty-free)

UK
reviews: 81
10. Re: wine in checked baggage.

There are airlines that still allow you to carry bottles of wine in your carry-on? (and I don't mean duty-free)

-----------

It's not an airline issue, its an airport security issue, you can't (in most cases) take large quantities of liquid through security.

Reply to: wine in checked baggage.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted