We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways premium economy class

London
reviews: 71
British Airways premium economy class

I've travelled BA premium economy (they called it World Travellers Plus) as I booked it almost the last minute and the price of standard economy was almost as expensive as PE class, so I might as well booked that. I have to say the seats were more comfortable and spacious, but everything else really was more or less the same as standard economy. For example, they handed out a dinner menu with starter, main courses and dessert, but everything was just served in the same tray with a tiny box of starter and dessert each. Service wasn't really much different from what I got in standard ecomony either.

Just wonder what your experience is and would you pay extra to travel BA premium economy?

151 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: British Airways premium economy class

Hi

I flew return to Atlanta WT+ and the service was great. Apart from more comfortable seats we were given meals from the business class menu, I had a fillet steak thing one way, can't remember the return, and we were served champagne during the flight. The noise cancelling headphones were great, as was the seat back TV, and the amenity pack very useful. I would fly it again in a heartbeat. For me it seemed a much better product.

Jackie

London, UK
reviews: 121
2. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I think BA's premium economy is a good compromise on a long flight if I can't afford club world. There's just enough leg and elbow room for me not to feel cramped and hemmed-in by strangers, and the small cabin usually makes for a quieter and more peaceful flight. The rest (food and how it's served, IFE, doting service) I don't much care about, or at least I consider them fripperies I'm not willing to pay lots of extra money for. It's all about a more comfortable and quiet flight for me, and that's all down to the size of the seat and getting out of the crowded economy cabin. Given that, I find BA PE pretty reasonable value for money. It sounds like you were expecting club world minus, rather than economy plus.

Madrid
reviews: 7
3. Re: British Airways premium economy class

The best thing about WT+ is the opportunity to upgrade to Club World with Avios.

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I have to say the seats were more comfortable and spacious, but everything else really was more or less the same as standard economy.

========

yep, thats how they advertise it, and thats what you get (except you should have had a choice of business class meal as well though). Plus, you do also get an extra hold case allowance, 2 instead of 1.

I would think most people buying this would do it for the extra leg room, or for the chance to upgrade to busienss, either with points or cash. The cabin itself does also tend to be quieter and more relaxed than the main economy cabin. But, basically the clue is in the name, its Premium *economy*. Go in with that expectation and you should be happy :-)

Edited: 5:58 am, August 12, 2013
Bossier City, LA
reviews: 2
5. Re: British Airways premium economy class

I will fly with BA on WT+ in October. This will be a first for the plus seats for me. I paid the extra to get more room. Everything else is nice but not what persuaded me to purchase the tickets. I bought the ticket when they were having a sale and only paid about $400 more than I paid for economy last May. So I think I got a good deal.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: British Airways premium economy class

The main meal in WT+ now has a choice of Club World mains; pax in WT will get a standard WT tray. Hot towels and a choice of newspaper are another addition to WT+ service. There should have been, depending on catering loaded, a WT+ tuck box in the galley between meals.

UKLizzie mentioned the smaller cabin, which is certainly a key point of flying in WT+. The extra seven inches of seat pitch add a lot as well. joe mentioned the extra baggage allowance, also a nice touch.

For those who are keen on such things, flying in WT+ gives more Avios and Tier Points than flying in WT. Those in WT will earn 35 Tier Points for a tATL flight but it's 90 for a flight in WT+, making Silver a viable goal for some.

Would I pay extra to travel in WT+? Absolutely.

London
reviews: 71
7. Re: British Airways premium economy class

TravellerPlus, my main meal was also served in a standard WT tray. The only difference was the cutley and wine glass which wasn't plastic. I'm not sure if the food itself was from business class. I can only say that if I were sitting in standard economy and was served the exact same food, I wouldn't have noticed any difference.

The extra space is the best feature, but I'm not sure if it's worth double the price of WT just to get that, or should I just pay much less for an exit row seat?

London
reviews: 10
8. Re: British Airways premium economy class

The main course, if you choose one of the business class options that is, will be served in a crockery dish.

I can't quite remember if the WT opitons are on the menu or not, but I'm sure they're availbale to WTP too, therefore will come in the WT tray if chosen. They're not going to transfer it from a tray to a crockery dish.

Either that or they've run out and you've got the standard WT meal.

Food in business or even first isn't really that special. Yes it's more of an occassion where you feel you're in a restaurant with waiter service, but definatley not a reason to pay fo those cabins.

It's all about the space.

WTP is for me worth it as the extra legroom and not so "cramped" feel makes travelling more tolerable.

That said seats are way too hard hence I sit on a cushion or folded up blanket.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 78
9. Re: British Airways premium economy class

BA business class meals are quite passable. They also serve wine in a more proper glass instead of a plastic cup.

Besides the extra space, the smaller cabin of WT+ means less noise and disturbance, plus a smaller chance of having young children and babies.

reviews: 3
10. Re: British Airways premium economy class

My family and I have just come back from Orlando with BA and booked return WT+ tickets - whilst the extra leg room is nice, we felt let down by the age of the aircraft and the feel of the service.

Outbound from Gatwick was OK, but the return leg was dreadful - the food (including choice) was very poor, the boarding process was badly thought out and the overall state of the aircraft left you with the feeling that the flintstones were aboard its maiden flight.

Our experience is that Virgin do the Premium Economy piece alot better

Reply to: British Airways premium economy class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted