We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first passport uk-adult

bath
reviews: 2
first passport uk-adult

Not sure if im posting this in the right place but here goes...My partner has recently(3rd Aug) applied for his first ever passport via p/o check and send...we are praying it will be here for when we are due to travel on sept 29 :-|

We had some trouble filling in the section about his parent as he no longer is in contact with them..we could fill in basic information found on the birth certificate but we have no knowledge of any other info i.e dates of birth,passport numbers(which we are sure they have!) and date of marriage..We wrote a little explanation in the "more info" section of why more details were not present.

Also the person we used for the countersignature has never done a passport before,although he is fully qualified to sign as he is an engineer...will this add to the time of the process?!

basically my questions is will the 2 things mentioned slow the process? We are due to travel in exactly 7 weeks and 1 day now :) even though when the application was sent it was 8 weeks & 1 day!

i was wondering how long roughly it would take for him to get his letter for his interview etc and are these normal problems encountered when people apply for a passport,meaning are my problems ones seen & dealt with everyday?

also does anybody no the current time scale for adult & child renewals and also first time child applications too?

Starting to stress a little now...any input would be gratefully appreciated :)

52 replies to this topic
Huddersfield
1. Re: first passport uk-adult

My wife's renewal passport only took about 3 weeks so think positive. sorry cant help otherwise.

2. Re: first passport uk-adult

Ours took 3 weeks, we also had to fill in for our son who's 9 he's no longer in touch with his dad hasn't been since 6 weeks old and it didn't delay the process.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: first passport uk-adult

The sort of problems you described will be fairly common to the UK Passport Agency and whilst an earlier application would have been, with hindsight, better you should be ok as the summer peak for applications will be nearing an end.

The status of the person who completed the countersignature portion should not have any impact.

bath
4. Re: first passport uk-adult

thanks very much for your advice...we are keeping everything crossed :) my main worry is that they will want to check the countersignature via the post,as its his 1st passport certification. I've heard this can add several weeks to the process!..just starting to worry a little now! Also as its a first ever passport the passport office interview now...also adding to the time scale :-|

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: first passport uk-adult

With a first passport (adult) isn't a personal interview at the passport office required?

bath
6. Re: first passport uk-adult

yes Tilly it is now a mandatory requirement for all new adult applications to attend an interview...quite annoying but also understandable!

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
reviews: 39
7. Re: first passport uk-adult

Somebody at work had to go to Edinburgh for an interview for 1st passport this week, came as news to me, but he had to go.

bath
8. Re: first passport uk-adult

Yep..interviews for first passports are now mandatory for all adult applications..there are offices dotted all over the uk..was Edinburgh his closest? Also do you have any clue on the time scale of your friends application to the interview taking place? :)

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
9. Re: first passport uk-adult

My husband had his passport renewed this week....by appointment and got his passport the same day 4 hours later..,.but it is quite expensive....£132.

That's in reply to "also does anybody no the current time scale for adult & child renewals"

Edited: 12:49 pm, August 10, 2013
bath
10. Re: first passport uk-adult

Thanks for that Tilly... That's an option for both renewals and my daughters 1st passport from what I can gather...it may b slightly more expensive but worth it's weight in gold If It means we can go :) just the other 2 worry about now :-|

Reply to: first passport uk-adult
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted