We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

Atlanta, Georgia
Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

Has anyone had experience with the validity of this claim? the operator I spoke with could not validate it until I gave her flight # info, which I'm not making until I have dates confirmed by family members whom I'm visiting.

20 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

The airlines are required to refund fares if requested within 24 hours of purchase. I'm not sure if the rule extends to third parties. It is a DOT regulation. Always buy from the airlines and you will always be covered.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
2. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

Travelocity says....

Cancel within 24 Hours, Worry-Free

Whether you made a mistake or changed your mind, you can cancel your flight within 24 hours of purchase without penalty so you have more flexibility in making travel plans.

That seems fairly simple. But, the process probably wont be as easy with Travelocity as it would be with the airline.

Do you anticipate the need to cancel within 24 hours of booking?

New Orleans...
reviews: 72
3. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

From my experiences, Travelocity and Orbitz are very true to the 24 hours rule and it doesn't take much to get a full refund. Try to cancel your ticket after 24 hours for most reasons, however, and you'll be out of luck. I think after 24 hours they will offer you travel credit, but you won't get a refund. If you try to change your ticket after 24 hours, there is a $250 fee in addition to any difference in ticket price (you also have to book on the same airline when changing a ticket). The info for changing is only for Travelocity; I'm not sure about other sites.

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

Personally I would advise not booking the flights till you know the dates for sure.

5. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, November 25, 2013

6. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, November 25, 2013
Edited: 9:05 pm, November 25, 2013

reviews: 5
7. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

They claim "no-penalty" and it is very simple to get, clicking a button in your itinerary web page BUT it is really unfair that they do not mention anywhere that they will immediately refund your tickets but retain their own fee AND do not proceed to refund of insurance protection bought together and for that same flights.

CAREFUL, poor information from Travelocity

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
8. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

Hi,

"they do not mention anywhere that they will immediately refund your tickets but retain their own fee AND do not proceed to refund of insurance protection bought together and for that same flights."

==> Based on what I can see, I'd agree.. They do appear to refund all the AIRFARE charges.. that means the costs of the actual airfare itself... but they don't make clear that THEIR service charges aren't included or refundable in these cases..

To that end, I agree that better disclosure about what is or is not refundable would be a good thing here.

Travel Safe,

Carnation...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

What fee is Travelocity charging you ? They clearly state:

"We understand that sometimes plans change. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the airline charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you."

But, if you've cancelled within 24 hours, there should be no fee. Insurance I can't address as I have no idea what policy you had. But, the insurance company is at risk from the moment you purchase your tickets and the insurance policy, so you sometimes you get no refund.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 199
10. Re: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy

I think the fee is the fee the they charge the airline. So if the airline price was $750 and Travelocity charges $780 then I would think the fee is 30 bucks.

Reply to: Travelocity's 24 hour cancellation policy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted