We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking multiple flights with kayak

Kilkenny, Ireland
reviews: 26
booking multiple flights with kayak

hi,i am going to be booking flights to america and mexico next year as part of honeymoon.i have been pricing around and the multi city option with kayak comes in at a good price,better than booking individual flights with airlines.just wondering what way does this work when booking? do kayak redirect you to airline sites or is it done throught them acting as an agent? also unsure of procedure if for eg flight was cancelled etc i hope my question is clear!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

kayak is a search engine. You will be redirected to airline or 3rd party online travel agent.

UK
reviews: 89
2. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

better than booking individual flights with airlines.

============

two potential reasons for this.

1. kayak refers you to third parties whose actual prices don't really exist when you try to book them.

2. You are looking at one-way flights on the airline websites, instead of via the multi city itinerary on their website.

as to 'how does booking single flights work'

if you book A-B, and B-C separately because its cheaper than buying A-C (where a change is needed in B) , either directly or in many cases via a third party , should A-B be late, or rescheduled, or canceled, such that you did or will miss B-C, you are on your own and will be buying a new ticket with your own money

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

As mentioned above, Kayak does NOT book flights.

They are a search engine that shows you possible flights and prices.

After you see a good price I'd go to the airline web site shown in the first flight and click on the multi city option on that site. Then put in your dates that you want to be in those cities and see the price.

You have not properly compared flights since you are trying to compare individual to multi city instead of multi city to multi city on the airline site.

Booking individual one way tickets on a variety of different airlines affords you no protection if one flight is late. You might have to buy a new ticket for the next flight since the airline that was late has no further responsibility for you.

IF you put all your flights on one ticket then you are the responsibility of the airline to get you to the next flight and so on.....

Kilkenny, Ireland
reviews: 26
4. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

ok,i am with you know.so here is my situation,will try make it brief as possible,i searched this on kayak

Dublin to Vegas,united(changeover newark) i presume this is one ticket eg if my flight was delayed in Dublin and i missed connection,united would have to get me to Vegas?

few days in Vegas,then direct flight to san fran with united again

few nights in san Fran,then driving to san Diego,flight number 3,san Diego to cancun,united(changeover Houston)

week in cancun,then cancun to Dublin,air

Canada(changeover toronto) which is weird i know but seems best option for me.

so,i see this as 4 flights,3 with changeovers,united for 3 flights and air Canada for the last flight home.i don't see where there should be any problem as the 3 changeovers are with the one airline.

what's are your views on the above? i presume kayak will re direct me to united to book the 3 flights and redirect me to air Canada for last flight?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
5. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

Your plans look fine. Yes. United's website will yield some partner options like Air Canada for international legs.

You may want to price it a couple different ways on United's website to see what yields a better sum.

Price it all in a four-segment ticket and then price it as the sum of two tickets:

(1) Multi-stop. Dublin-LAS + SAN-Cancun + Cancun-Dublin.

(2) LAS-SFO nonstop. These flights can be as cheap as $98 one-way. And there are domestic competitors like Virgin America and Southwest Airlines for more options.

International one-way fares are extortional. US domestic one-way fares can be a bargain.

Edited: 11:39 am, August 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

I also would price it a couple ways

1) multi stop as the previous poster described

2) 4 one way tickets, DUB-LAS, LAS-SFO, SAN-CAN, CAN-DUB.

You can price these on Kayak, see what it comes up with, then go to the airlines websites to book them.

The other thing I'd suggest is checking southwest.com for the LAS-SFO and SAN-Cancun legs especially. Southwest is a major USA airline. They were the first low cost airline. But their fares do not show up on Kayak or any other sites. They will not fly to Dublin. I'm not sure about Cancun from San Diego.

Kapaa
7. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

Looking to book flight from Wash, DC area to El Salvador and then to Nicaragua in Februaray.

London
reviews: 73
8. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

Great. Have fun with that.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
9. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

Susie R: Sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun!

10. Re: booking multiple flights with kayak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 15, 2014