We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

doncaster
reviews: 2
Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

Ok so title is dramatic but honestly feel sick at moment.

So I'm going on a 5 week tour to usa and moats things are booked including flights to diff parts of usa. Shared shuttles from airport and hostels.

Now I booked in May to fly from New York to San Fran with United on the 21st sep at 8.45 pm

(Has to be that date and after 8.30pm due to other plans) and just logged into my account and this red writing came up to say their had been changes to my and it was flying at 6.30pm now there no way I can do this flight

Couple of questions

1 can united just do this (they never emailed me or contacted me)

2 if united can do this how do I get my money back

3 I have checked kayak and there is no airlines flying that late. But are there any airlines which are not on kayak which fly that time

Any help you can offer I would appreciate as if I don't find something I could lose a bit of money

9 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park
reviews: 4
1. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

Call United NOW. Explain what you have here, but do try to be calm and not dramatic.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

Airlines can and do change schedules. The responsibility then lies with the passenger to contact the airline and accept the change or say 'no, that won't do, we need to sort something else out, please.'

If you're flying from JFK to SFO on 21 September, there are no other nonstop StarAlliance flights that evening. I don't know if UA would rebook you on to the jetBlue departure at 2025, but I suspect not.

If UA's next best option is to offer a flight early the next morning, then contact the hotel in SFO to tell them you won't arrive very late on the night of the 21st but instead the next day. Say you would like to retain the booking and will pay for that night, but will arrive at X on 22 September.

If you cannot depart New York until after 1800 on 21 September you have almost no options save the jetBlue filght. If UA cannot offer that flight but can change your ticket for travel the next morning it seems a reasonable choice. If that won't suit, you can ask for a refund but then will need to rebook as necessary.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

1) Airlines change schedules all the time. Sometimes you get an email. Sometimes you don't. You did a good job by checking your itinerary yourself and now you have time to fix the problem.

2) If United changed the flight, typically you can call them, explain calmly that the new time is no good for you and ask them for options. If they don't have an acceptable option, you should be able to cancel the flight because they changed the schedule.

3) Which New York airport? There are several. The three major ones are JFK, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR). You did not say. You are correct most flights from the east coast to the west leave earlier. Otherwise, due to the length of the flight, they don't arrive until midnight. The only major USA airline that does not show up in kayak is southwest. Their fares are only on southwest.com.

Edmonton
reviews: 13
4. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

Airlines also have a right to change their schedule and it depends on what their policy is if they will allow you to cancel for a refund. Some airlines say if the flight is change by more than 4 hours, some 6, some 12. You will have to find that out for sure to see if you are entitled to a refund or even to change it to the next day with no change fee.

Manchester, United...
5. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

You definitely need to relax. Although you are stressed now, I am certain it is not as bad as you think.

If the United flight *IS* cancelled, your best option is doing the Jetblue flight as above.

From what I can see, the only potentially viable United option would involve you leaving 7.30pm, and change planes in Washington. But if it really, absolutely, impossibly and definitely must be after 8.30pm then your options really are limited.

With this much notice, is it really not feasible to travel the next morning? You were arriving in SFO at close to midnight which is horrible by anyone's standards. Leaving at 6am the next morning from New York would see you in SFO at 9am. Are you really going to miss out by not being there for those early hours? Is it really impossible to tinker with hotel reservations and other transfers?

I can appreciate it's inconvenient for you and potentially a load of unwanted hassle, but you need to put things in perspective. Is 2 hours of your life with over a month's warning really such a disaster?

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

I have had 6 united schedule changes for a 4 leg trip over the last 2 months.

none advised by email....all via the view reservation system (the red print).

so u r not robinson crusoe.

Edited: 11:15 pm, August 06, 2013
doncaster
reviews: 2
7. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

hi guys thanks for all your help with give united a call and see what i can work out

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 161
8. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

As stated above, it's always preferable to bring a solution to the airlines, rather than just accept what they say or go into it without some research. As response 2 says, you can ask about the Jet Blue flight and see if this is an option (probably not) - go onto United's website and search for other alternatives that suit your needs as best they can. Then call them with solutions to check. It doesn't always work out, but it's worth a try.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
9. Re: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline

What ever you do when you contact United don't get angry as you're dependant on the other person at the end of the phone, start by saying you really need their help and ask about the Jet Blue flight if that's your best option and see what happens in these cases grovelling is usualy the best means to an end. Good Luck

Reply to: Feel sick holiday could be ruined thanks united airline
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted