We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 2
Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Just a heads up to travelers booking rewards travel through Capital One Rewards / Travelocity.

After booking a trip to Scotland back In February we received no confirmation e-mail. According to the company 90%+ of e-mails sent to g-mail accounts are caught is the spam filter.

This failing led to a series of disastrous events for our family, with us being stranded in Scotland with 4 children (2 with special needs) and neither Capital One Rewards or British Airways willing to help with the error.

In the subsequent days of complaints to Capital One rewards, we have been told that there are 3 checkpoints to confirm dates/times at point of booking, so I am not sure how such an error could occur.

Having said that, a Capital One Rewards rep also told us that we had "a better chance of winning the lottery than them being wrong".......yup that really made us feel better about a bad situation.

I would advise using caution with Capital One Rewards - and do not be surprised to receive very poor customer service if an error is made.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 222
1. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Can't tell exactly what went wrong here. Sounds like you got from the USA to Scotland fine. So is it the case that you wrote these tickets and actually traveled to Scotland but never got a confirmed itinerary?

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

You need to give more detail here. Did you miss your return flight as you did not know the correct timings to return and as such had to buy new tickets?

I am assuming you did not check your itinerary and subsequently your flights on line?

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

I don't see why you are blaming Capital One because your email system put the email into the spam folder.

That email behaviour is entirely, 100%, fully and totally nothing to do with them. It is to do with gmail and yourself, yourself for not setting it up appropriately, and in particular for not checking your spam folder occasionally.

There is a reason why there is a spam folder, its not there because people like the convenience of reading all their spam in one place, its there because spam filters are not 100% accurate and so you need to check it occasionally to make sure there is no mislabeled email.

You should also check it more frequently when you are expecting an email, for example, just after you booked a flight, which leads me to ask a question, you booked a flight, you didn't get an email, even if it didn't occur to you to look in the spam folder, why didn't you phone them?

Edited: 2:08 am, August 06, 2013
London, United...
4. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

>>That is why there is a spam folder, its not there because people like the convenience of reading all their spam in one place<<

Damn, really? that's why I thought it was there:-))

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
5. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

If Capital One Rewards sent you the appropriate e mail how is it their fault you didn't read it?

Too many people on here blame others when the fault lies totally with themselves!

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Shezza, its not uncommon for people to beleive that the sending party, in this case Capital One, directly put their emails into their spam folder.

Presumably they think the company does this out of spite, or as a joke, or to keep their customers busy and interested, in the same way as at the zoo, they spread food around and hide it so the animals get exercise.

London, United...
7. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

>> in the same way as at the zoo, they spread food around and hide it so the animals get exercise<<

Lol, you are on a roll this morning joe.

A bit like a treasure hunt,,,find the email:-))

Annapolis, Maryland
8. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

We did call, and did confirm those travelling and outbound dates. Completely stupid not to confirm the return dates. The real frustration has been when we realized that there was an error.

On Sat, Jul 27th the Capital One rep told us that we could wait to get the "footprint" to review what was originally entered.

On Mon Jul 29th the Capital One rep told us that as the booking was more than 4 months old, the footprint could not be retrieved.

On Monday Aug 5th the Capital One rep told us that they had managed to retrieve the footprint, but if we wanted to see it we would have to subpoena it - this is seemingly their company policy.

North Carolina
reviews: 24
9. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

I must be missing something. You flew from the US to Scotland but had no idea how you were getting back?

Annapolis, Maryland
10. Re: Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

We booked everything on line through the Capital One Travel rewards. My wife and I sat together and booked it, as it was something we had been planning for a while. We both reviewed it and , in our minds, knew exactly when we were leaving , returning. There is only one flight per day BWI - LHR, LHR-BWI.

As this was our first time of doing this, we did not look out for a confirmation e-mail.

Anyway, long story short, the return dates that were in the Cap One rewards system were wrong, and we have been in an ongoing dispute with them about how to resolve it.

Some of the customer service received has been very disappointing for a company like Capital One.