We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow baggage transfer

Sofia, Bulgaria
Heathrow baggage transfer

I will be traveling from Bucharest to Heathrow with Tarom and transferring to JFK with an Iberia flight operated by American Airlines. Will my luggage be checked through to JFK or I have to retrieve it myself? The website where I purchased the ticket says I have to retrieve it but on BA's website (as I'm flying BA on the first leg) mentions nothing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

Are you flying with Tarom from OTP to Heathrow Terminal 4 or with BA to Heathrow Terminal 3? And is the flight to JFK (AA operated from LHR T3) a separate ticket, or have you booked a through ticket, OTP-LHR-JFK? As well, at what time of day and on what day of the week do your flights arrive and depart?

Let us know more, please.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

This sounds like one of those itineraries you get off Opodo or Expedia that books you on an unusual range of codeshare numbers. It sounds like BA from New York to Bucharest, and then a combination of Tarom and Iberia (operated by AA) back to New York.

The AA/BA/IB trans-Atlantic fares do permit a wide range of other carriers for travel within Europe, even on routes where there is direct overlap with BA and Iberia. This sounds like such an example. If so, then Tarom should tag your bags all the way to New York.

If you have been issued separate tickets, you need to speak with Tarom to clarify what their policy is about through checking baggage to non-alliance partners on separate tickets.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

advise_12,

Please let us know (as TP has already asked), (a) your exact itinerary**, and (b) whether all flights from Bucharest to JFK are on one ticket or split across two? That will determine whether or not your bags will be through checked.

[** - you firstly said you're flying Tarom OTP-LHR, but later said "I'm flying BA on the first leg" so please clarify]

Sofia, Bulgaria
4. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

Sorry, I was unclear. This is my itinerary:

JFK -> LHR with BA

LHR -> OTP with BA

OTP -> LHR with TAROM arrives at termina 4

LHR -> JFK with Iberia operated by AA departs at terminal 3

Everything is on the same ticket, I believe, since all flights appear under the same reservation code and appear together when I log into BA website.

Edited: 10:13 pm, August 04, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

Thank you for the information.

In that case, with all flights on the same ticket, you will not have to collect your bags at Heathrow as they'll be checked all the way through to JFK.

When you arrive at Heathrow T4, follow the signs to Flight Connections, and take a transfer bus to T3. You'll reclear security there and then you'll be through to the departure lounge.

A good thing to do would be to check in online for your AA flight 24 hours before its departure and print out your boarding pass. Having it with you will avoid having to queue at T3 to get it, especially useful if you're in a tight connection situation and to avoid being bumped if the flight is in an oversold situation. Call BA and ask for the reservation number that allows you to view your reservation on aa.com. Although the flights are on the same ticket I very much doubt that Tarom will be able to check you on for AA and give you your boarding pass at OTP. So show the Tarom check in clerk your AA boarding pass just to ensure your bag check is matched with your AA check in.

Edited: 11:03 pm, August 04, 2013
Sofia, Bulgaria
6. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

Thank you very much for your help!

Do you think I can check in for the AA flight through Iberia. I have a reservation code for them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

I don't think you'll be able to check in on line with IB when the flight is operated by AA. Call that latter airline and ask for the AA PNR. That should take a matter of minutes to obtain, and with that PNR you *will* be able to check in on line at the AA website.

USBT mentioned asking BA for the AA PNR, also a wise suggestion.

Sofia, Bulgaria
8. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

Thank you all very much!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

< Everything is on the same ticket, I believe, since all flights appear under the same reservation code and appear together when I log into BA website. >

I wish other people would post similar information when asking about connections

10. Re: Heathrow baggage transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 08, 2014