We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

Washington, DC USA
reviews: 11
Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

Hello Tripadvisors...:)

We're flying United to Munich - connecting to Rome on Lufthansa in a few weeks.

We have planned to take rolling carry on size suitcases - soft sided with internal framing. We want to get our luggage there when we get there (had some friends just go many days in europe without any luggage) - and are taking a number of Trains around Italy so we're hoping/trying to travel light/mobile.

The bags appear to be right at the 45" total linear inches (22x14x9 = 114cm which is Lufthansa's limit.) And now I'm realizing that Lufthansa has an 8kg carry on weight limit - 18 pounds? Is that possible to be under 18 lbs with even a lightly packed rolling carry on? Anybody having their bags weighed/measured/put in the box when flying out of Munich to Rome - or other European destinations? And the fact that we're coming off a transatlantic flight into MUC and I assume walking to our Lufthansa gate directly - could that work in our favor?

Since we originate on an international flight from the US on a 767-400 with ample overhead bin space - it seems like we'll be able to carry them onto our United international flight - but then may have difficulty carrying them on in Munich on the Lufthansa A320 to Rome. I found some information where if your flight originates with a different standard then you just have to meet that standard through the whole flight - but not sure.

Has anyone had any experience with Lufthansa weighing/measuring carry-ons - and 21/22" rolling suitcases in particular?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

Yes they do weigh carry ons. I've tried to take my bag on as a carry on, but the check in agent has insisted it be weighed. Too heavy, into the hold it goes. Now, that's been at a Lufty check in desk, not while in transit from United to Lufthansa. Then again, I've seen some people had their bags inspected at the gate too (though from what I saw they were oversize).

If you want a hassle free trip, I'd suggest you stick to Lufthansa's 8kg carry on limit and check the rest. It's what I do, however much a PITA that is. Make sure you have at least one change of clothes in your carry ons, just in case the checked bag(s) go missing. And, check the baggage tag to make sure your bag is tagged as MUC-FCO before you let United take it away.

Edited: 9:35 pm, August 03, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
2. Re: Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

I agree with USBT 8 kgs isn't much so if you are overweight check in the rolling carry on and take another bag with your valuables or stuff you don't want to check in. Lufthansa are a pretty efficient airline and tend to stick with their carry on rules.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
3. Re: Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

I had a similar flight planned and my rolling carryon is a bit smaller at 20" but still probably over the Lufthansa weight limit. I was told to just take it on the United flight and take it to the connecting Lufthansa flight.

IF someone at Lufthansa decides it looks too big they will just check it at the gate. IF no one decides it is too big then you'll just take it on board. Most European airlines have lower weight limits than the USA ones but they don't always check the weight when making connections. They will definitely check when you leave from Rome !! It will be weighed and will get checked into the hold there!

Edited: 11:20 am, August 04, 2013
Washington, DC USA
reviews: 11
4. Re: Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

Thanks so much USBusinessTraveler, Chrella and Riff M!

I appreciate the advice/thoughts. I think perhaps we'll try to have two of the bags in the smaller rolling carry on category - with some family essentials so if we do have to check the other ones we'll have our important things - and some clothes for sure - that will stay with us no matter what.

Thanks again and Ciao!

5. Re: Lufthansa connecting flight Munich-Rome, Rolling Carry ons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 06, 2014