We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying only on second leg of booked flight

Kiev, Ukraine
flying only on second leg of booked flight

I have a flight booked from Kiev to Amsterdam by way of Riga. Coincidentally, I may have to go to Latvia for a few days before the date of the flight. It would save me a good deal of trouble not to have to go all the way back to Ukraine just to turn around and fly back. Would it pose any problem to only fly the second leg of the journey, from Riga to Amsterdam? Is this something I'd need to communicate with the airline about? Would they, for instance, notice I hadn't taken the first leg and cancel the second one?

Thanks ~

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

If you don't fly the first leg, all subsequent legs will be cancelled.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

Don't ever miss your first leg under any circumstances ... your booking will be cancelled for the other flights.

I have in the past missed middle legs and been okay, but under no circumstance EVER miss your first leg.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 115
3. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

Which airline have you done that with Ricky? Generally the rule is if you miss any part of a multi segment flight then all further segments are cancelled regardless of it being the first leg or second.

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

Generally the rule is if you miss any part of a multi segment flight then all further segments are cancelled regardless of it being the first leg or second.

======

Sometimes on a multi airline itinerary communication can go astray and you can get lucky that way. Otherwise yep SOP is, it will be cancelled.

tetri, call the airline to akter your ticket. Dont be surprised to find out it will cost you MORE to fly just one leg what with change fees and the like.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
5. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

Good idea to call the airline. About 5 years ago we arrived at LAX on UA on a multi-leg international trip. We were supposed to connect to a short commuter hop to ONT, but missed the connection. UA said they'd put us on another flight, but it'd be a few hours. I asked about just renting a car and driving, since we'd have to rent a car when we got to ONT anyway, but the rep said if we didn't take the flight, all of our subsequent flights on the itinerary would be canceled.

Maybe the shortened itinerary will cost more, but maybe not. Call and hope for the best. Don't miss the first flight. People do deliberately miss flights to save money in some cases. Airlines know that.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 97
6. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

"I have in the past missed middle legs and been okay, but under no circumstance EVER miss your first leg."

I'm not Ricky, but I've done this too, and with exactly what the OP wants to do.

The rule is that you lose everything unless you clear it with the airline well before the date of travel. So contact the airline. There are no guarantees, but they could clear the plan for you.

Edited: 1:45 pm, August 02, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

If you miss the first flight without telling the airline and just show up for the second leg, the ticket will certainly be cancelled. If you call them and tell them you no longer need the first leg, they will change the ticket for you to remove it, but there probably will be some sort of fee.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
8. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

Call the airline and explain your situation but on no account miss the first leg of the flight for the reason the others have already given.

NomadicForever
reviews: 14
9. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

You may find a clause in the small print part of your tkt that this is not allowed, that the whole booking would be cancelled if not all sections will be flown as booked. Noticed this clause by chance in a recently purchased tkt with an M.E airline.

Better check with the carrier. Why not buy a tkt starting with the 2nd leg of the journey?

Kiev, Ukraine
10. Re: flying only on second leg of booked flight

yeah, had several emails with the airline (Air Baltic) and they categorically refused to cancel the first part of the ticket, even for a fee. looks like I'll need to either shell out some extra cash for another flight from Riga or go back and forth...ick :(