We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

Toronto, Canada
Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

I am flying to Hong Kong from Toronto this Christmas leaving around Dec.20 and returning Jan.12. I know it is peak time so is very expensive.

The prices I'm finding now are $2600 on Air Canada and $2400 on Cathay pacific. We want a direct flight so I think those are the only options for that. Is it likely those fares may drop in the next little while or should I go with those? I also don't want to risk the flight being sold out.

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

Read the Top Questions section.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

The only honest answer is nobody will know whether fares will go up or down in coming weeks but Christmas is a peak travel period so it might be better to book soon especially if you're not prepared to consider an indirect flight - direct (non stop) flights are normally more expensive than indirect flights.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 31
3. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

The price you pay is very much dependent on the date you depart Canada. I'm flying Cathay from Vancouver to Bangkok departing Canada on Nov 15th and returning Jan 6th, My fare is $1400CAD return. It looks like the price changes dramatically if you depart Canada after Nov 30th. If you return later in mid-January the price will come down somewhat but a departure of Dec 20th will make your fare sky high I'm afraid. I fly to Asia regularly at this time of the year and it is unlikely the price for your dates will drop. If your dates are fixed and you want a non-stop flight, book now. I have flown several times departing on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or New Year's Eve and I've been able to find cheaper prices departing Canada on those specific days.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

That seems very high to me even if you are travelling during peak period but if you want a direct flight then your options are limited, however i would still check out the http://matrix.itasoftware.com flight every day for another couple of weeks to see if they do come down.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
5. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

Seems high to me as well. Do a flexible search and reconsider flying direct. Look at flying there from Newark on United, or even Vancouver on a number of airlines.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
6. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

It is a high price, but there is a siginificant population of ex-Hong Kong residents in the Toronto area, and there are only 2 direct flights per day..so it looks like a classic case of supply and demand at a busy time of year...if people will pay those high prices, I guess the airlines are more than happy to charge top dollar.

I thought you might get a better deal, say indirect via United, but even they are charging similar prices (2200 and up) and their flights are much more incovenient than a direct flight . Changing your dates slighly and going out of Buffalo could get you into the $1850 range.

Edited: 11:46 am, August 01, 2013
7. Re: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, January 12, 2014
Edited: 1:35 am, January 12, 2014

Reply to: Price for Toronto to Hong Kong at Christmas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted