We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR direct to Orlando

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 14
LHR direct to Orlando

I was wondering if anyone can advise if it possible to travel direct to Orlando from LHR in November ?

I have found lots of flights with one stop. Maybe I'm overlooking a particular airline.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 110
1. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

I think you can fly directly if you go out of Gatwick as opposed to LHR.

UK
reviews: 85
2. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

I think you'll find that most direct flights to Orlando would go from airports other than Heathrow. Perhaps Gatwick,Manchester, Edinburgh etc.

If you are flying originally from Dublin I'd recommend flying from there because you can get preclearance which means you arrive in the US without their tortuous immigration. If Orlando is not available what about nearby? Tampa? Sanford ?

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

Thanks for the quick replies.

The booking is for an elderly relative living in the UK, who will be travelling alone.

I think gatwick is more difficult for them to access. I will have a look at a different destination airport.

Which, do you think, is the best alternative to Orlando?

UK
4. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

That would depend where they are going and how they would get there, I've flown to Tampa for Disney, driving there it's about 90 minutes, but for someone who finds it problematic to get from the Heathrow area to the Gatwick area, that's probably a big nono? And have I assumed they are going to Disney but they aren't?

Edited: 6:42 pm, July 30, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
5. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

They will be met by family once they get there, so I think there should be more flexibility because of that.

They will be using Orlando/ Tampa etc as a meeting point.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 110
6. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

What area is this mystery relative coming from? Gatwick isn't that difficult to access. How were they planning on getting to Heathrow?

UK
7. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

If locally based relatives are picking them up then I'd have the relatives state which other airport would work, they will know much better than anyone posting here, but I agree with Laura, it would help substantially to know where the passenger is originating, I can't think of many places where Heathrow is easy but Gatwick difficult.

Then it's a question of deciding if a taxi to Gatwick for them is preferable to an extra drive for the collecting relatives.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
8. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

I think that the path of least resistance would be to use LGW and worry about how to get your relative there. What about a taxi if they have mobility issues? AFAIK there are no direct flights to Orlando from LHR.

Until you say where your relative is coming from it is not easy to advise on other airports.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
9. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

I would check out flights on the www.skyscanner.com and http://matrix.itasoftware.com websites as you can put in all london airports in the search engine and see what comes up.

Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: LHR direct to Orlando

Thanks folks.

The mystery relative is travelling from Nottingham and really finds gatwick difficult.

She is meeting family who also travelling to Florida from another country. It was decided that I would be easy for them both to access.

I will suggest gatwick again although LHR to Tampa might work.

Thanks for all the help.