We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

Washington DC...
Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

I fly about three to four times a year, but the flight from DC to L.A. is about 5 1/2 hours and I haven't been on a flight for more than 2 1/2 for a long time. What airline do you all suggest? I'm planning on trying to fly direct, non-stop.

DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

United will have the most flights between IAD and LAX. I fly the route several times a year.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

Class of travel?

Washington DC...
3. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

More then likely economy, possibly E-Plus for more leg room

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
4. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

Are you flying out of Reagan (DCA) or Dulles (IAD)?

Try flying with Virgin America. I was very pleased with my last flight with them.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

I would find the direct non-stop flight that goes from the airports you want at the times you want at a reasonable cost before I'd worry about service. It's just 5-1/2 hours. It's not worth paying hundreds extra to fly on a specific airline. I think the differences from flight to flight are greater than the service differences between the major airlines. If your flight is on time and they don't lose your bag, you'll feel like the airline did a good job. But if you dig into it, every airline is delayed and they all lose bags occasionally.

One easy way to see this is just to read through the forums. I think every airline has a post from someone that says "never use this airline." It almost always boils down to one bad flight.

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 11
6. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

I'd look at Jetblue or VirginAmerica first. Both have free seatback tv's for entertainment, and JetBlue's economy seat pitch is almost the same as United's premium economy. VA's economy seat pitch is better than United's economy, and the whole ambiance of the plane is nicer. JetBlue also gives you the first bag free, if you are planning on checking a bag.

Washington DC...
7. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

I'm thinking about trying Virgin America out since I have heard pretty good things about them and I've never flown on their airlines. I saw a couple of non stops to LAX out of Dulles that weekend. DCA and BWI are actually closer to where I live, but I'm not having as much success with flights out of either. Jet Blue has flights, but they're all connecting. Southwest might be an option out of BWI though.

Washington DC...
8. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

What are your thoughts on upgrading from a main cabin seat to a main cabin select seat on Virgin? (for those who've flown)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
9. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

The economy seat is perfectly adequate for most.

You are overthinking this. I chose Virgin America because their price was the best, and I also loved their service.

Do a search on ita matrix, see what suits you, and go.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 60
10. Re: Wash DC to LAX Labor Day Weekend, airline reccomendations?

I agree Virgin America or JetBlue would be my choices over United.