We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 2
Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

I booked a holiday with Hayes & Jarvis in a Thomson's branch in January this year for a trip to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving. At the time of booking I told my booking agent that we could only stay for 6 nights because my partner's holidays go from Monday - Sunday, so we were unable to go for a full week because of the the time difference coming home.

I added the booking to my British Airways Executive Club account and that was the last contact I had with them. However last week I randomly logged on to my BA account and discovered that my return flight had been cancelled and we had been rebooked onto a flight the next day!

I called my agent who had no idea this had happened, they then contacted Hayes and Jarvis who confirmed the change only after speaking to their operations department. My agent then told me this is standard procedure if a flight was cancelled and I would have been told 'in due course' and we were liable for the additional nights accommodation should we choose to accept the change. As it was incompatible with my partners holidays I turned down the new flight and instead I got placed on a new flight on the original date, arriving in Heathrow instead of Gatwick.

I could smell a rat though, why hadn't I been told, and when did it happen? So I called BA directly who informed me the flight was cancelled in JANUARY! That means H&J have had nearly 7 months to tell me this flight had changed. BA had informed H&J of the change, and we were the only passengers who had yet to reconfirm the new booking.

The girls I spoke to at Thomson's were quite outraged and encouraged me to send in an email of complaint via them to H&J and to expect a reply within 28 days.

I was just wondering what other people think of this situation. Do you think I have a case to complain here, and do you think I should expect compensation in the form of an upgrade or something along those lines?

UK
reviews: 85
1. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

Do you think I have a case to complain here, and do you think I should expect compensation in the form of an upgrade or something along those lines?

------

Yes and No in that order.

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

So you think H&J will acknowledge the complaint, but do nothing? Surely they cant accept fault and leave it at that?

Edmonton
reviews: 14
3. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

As a travel agent, I can honestly say I highly doubt you will get any compensation, other than possibly an apology for the delayed info. You really aren't out anything here, so all is fine.

Glasgow, United...
4. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

I just cant believe they couldn't find a moment during 7 months to inform me of this change?

And when would we have found out? There is no way of knowing when we would have been told, if at all. They put us on a flight for the next day, which would have been impossible for us to take.

I am not actively seeking an upgraded room, and definitely not an upgraded flight. But I really feel like sorry wont cut it considering how long they have had.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 70
5. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

But you found out, you were able to fly the same day as arranged, so all is well. No point in worrying about what might have happened. Fact is, it didn't.

Edmonton
6. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

Exactly. And also another reason that you should be checking your own flights often in case of schedule changes. They happen and it's best to be on top of it. Lesson learned and no harm caused.

Glasgow, United...
7. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

I should have mentioned that we are arriving around 10 hours later than planned, and due to my partner's shifts he will have to take an additional day unpaid. I am just a bit annoyed at the lack of communication more than anything else.

I will be curious to see what Hayes & Jarvis say, I've asked this to a few people and some say definite compensation for lack of contact, others like yourselves saying no.

Thanks for the input :)

Edmonton
8. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

You will have to check the airline's t & c's regarding the schedule change. Every airline is different, but if a change is within 24 or 12 hours (depending on the airline as some may be less), you are entitled to nothing. Did they give you an option to cancel? If they did and you accepted the change, that will also negate any compensation.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

If I did not have a BA executive club account, how would I be able to check this? I cant imagine most people google their flight number on a monthly basis to check it?

Surely you cant expect people to be actively checking their flights when booked via a travel agent? Isnt that the point?

The only lesson I have learned here is to book direct with BA, if I had I would have been informed from them directly.

Edmonton
10. Re: Hayes & Jarvis - changed my flight but didn't tell me!

Airlnes often don't inform you either. I just had my flights change with United and I only found out by logging onto united.com to check my flights and seats (which I do regularly as there can also be equipment change and your seats can change even if your flights don't and no one will inform you of that). I know for a fact they have my correct email and phone number because I am the agent and can see on the file what is there You don't need an executive account to check your flights, only your PNR locator or reservation number. I recommend to all my clients to do this as I book hundreds of flights and cannot constantly be checking everyone. The airlines are supposed to get a hold of us and when they do I contact the client, but it is also the client's responsibility with any flight no matter where they are booked. This would not change if you had booked with BA directly.