We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

I have a young baby and in 2 weeks we are going to Spain and staying in a villa that has little shade. I already own a large sun shade that would be perfect. However at 124cm long it will not fit in my suitcase.

Does anyone know if I can check this onto the flight as part of my 20kg luggage allowance? I've contacted easyjet and their responses are hard to understand! I don't want to call them as I would like to take proof to the check in desk.

Their website makes no mention of maximum dimensions of hold luggage so it's very confusing.

Any help would be great, Thanks.

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Hmm I just found this in the T&Cs:

20.4.4 Generally, each individual item of Hold Luggage should not exceed the total dimensions (that is, length + width + height) of 275cm, except for items accepted for carriage as Sporting Equipment (see Article 20.6 (Baggage, Sports Equipment below). Any Hold Luggage that is outside these dimensions will be considered Oversize Baggage and You should contact Our Customer Service Team for advice as to how the item may be carried.

The parasol measure 138cm + 11 + 11 = 160cm. It weighs 4kg. So assuming my suitcase doesn't weigh more than 17kg then I'll be fine to take both on as they say you can split the 20kg between cases?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
24,902 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

You have a 20kg allowance per person and it's for one case only. You can't pool your allowances with other people on the booking.

You need to contact Easyjet to get the correct information.

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Hi thanks LeylandSunaddict, thanks for the advice. But you can split your luggage between people - it says so on their website? It also says you can have more than 1 case? Maybe I'm wriong though as it's not very clear. Can I ask where you found your info?

I have contacted easyjet, they are replying in broken English, I do not understand what they are saying. I was hoping someone here might know where the answer lay within Easyjets own website/T&Cs?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
24,902 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

It's on their website. You can have more than one case each, if you pay for another case, but the standard allowance is one case per person that books luggage.

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4050

Edited: 8:20 am, July 29, 2013
Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Oh wow, I've been looking for ages! It's very confusing. So if I buy 2 suitcases then I can take 2 suitcases but it can't come to more than 20kg?

I'd seen that little photo somewhere else, but I read it as meaning you can take 2 suitcases so long as it's not more than 20kg. but the wording on your link is much clearer?

Can I ask how you came across that link? Thanks so much!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
24,902 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Yes, buy 2 you can take 2, but your allowance is still only 20kg. It's on the customer service section of their website.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Can you take one? Yes. Should you expect it to be damaged when you get it at the other end? Yes, unless you put it in a protective tube. Other people's bags weight a lot.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

far less hassle to buy one when you get there, they are cheap to buy. We just travelled by car and I bought two for less than 10 euros each

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Sadly our villa is in the middle of no wehere and I don't think we'll be able to buy one :(

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
24,902 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Easyjet - can i but a sun paraol/shade in the hold?

Won't you be passing through anywhere en-route to the villa, or be going out anywhere you could get one?