We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

UK
reviews: 11
Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

We have just returned to the uk after a holiday to kuala lumpur and vietnam. Myself, husband and chikdren aged 2 and 7. We booked this independently and booked an air asia flight Kl to danang to visit Hoi An. Before leaving the uk we received the usual email asking us to check in online, telling us its not long until our flights etc. however we couldn't appear to complete the online checking in from the uk. It allowed us to get all the way thought the process but wouldn't complete and gave an error message saying web check in incomplete. On arrival in Malaysia we tried again. Again said confirmed and wouldn't complete web check in and to check in at the airport,

The eve before we flew we visited the air asia office in Butik Bintang when the lady called the booking team and then informed me that the flight was cancelled in March. They attempted to call us on the 11th July once however didn't leave us a message on my answer phone and didn't try again. Al is time the flight continued to show as confirmed in my booking.

The result of this is that we now have to wait 60 days for a refund if the original money, it cost us an extra £600 to go via Hcmc and then on to danang and considerable costs in phone calls an a lost day travelling and trying to sort this out with two young kids in tow.

As you can imagine I am fuming and want air asia to foot the extra costs. Does anyone know of a way to get around their email complaints system to get this sorted. I am willing to use social networking which I know they respond to and even Malaysian small claims if I can,

Apologies for the long post.... It's. long story, thanks in afvance

UK
1. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

Must add small claims etc if I can do it online from the uk

London
reviews: 73
2. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

Did they send you an email asking you to check in for a flight that had already been cancelled?

Would have thought if they had your email address that they could have informed you of the cancellation that way

UK
3. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

They did yes. We had all the usual emails asking us to check in, book extra leg room seats and food etc. no emails saying the flight route was cancelled in march! Said in my booking confirmed flight as well and it even sent an itinerary a few days before... But no cancellation email! I even checked their system records at the air asia office and their own records say they only attempted to call once.... It was a nightmare and has cost us a fortune,,

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

Hi,

I think you've got a small chance for any compensation in terms of them "footing" the extra costs..

I agree that a message would have been nice and a good idea as they already had made contact per se... or even an email, but in the end, they did try and attempt to call you, so the claim can't really be they didn't notify me- they did - it was just that you two weren't able to speak one-on-one at that time.

My thought is unless you have passenger protection rights that apply in your specific case I think the odds are low that they will cover any additional or consequential costs or losses you may incurr.

By all means, try... Put forward your best case, i would highlight the emails about checking in for a cancelled flight..... but..... only from an odds-on basis, I think the odds here are against you that you'll recover anything meaningful in this regard.

Best of luck

Travel Safe,

Edited: 12:56 am, July 29, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
5. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

Did you all have travel insurance?

Might be your best road to go down in truth.

UK
6. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

Hi

Yes we did have travel insurance. I'm going to give them a ring today. Just very very annoyed that I am still waiting for my refund and that they didn't keep their systems up to date. Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have any email addresses for air asia that goes to a high level complaint?

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

ask in the Kuala Lumpur forum, heaps of AirAsia travellers there

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

"but in the end, they did try and attempt to call you, so the claim can't really be they didn't notify me- they did - it was just that you two weren't able to speak one-on-one at that time."

So just ringing a phone with no conversation and no message counts as notification now? That's stretching it, don't you think?

Besides, it sounds like the website continued to show this flight was going well after it was cancelled. I know we tend to give airlines the benefit of the doubt here and blame the customer most of the time for expecting any sort of service, but this seems rather beyond the pale, to give a customer no way of knowing that their flight has been cancelled.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 25
9. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

I think you will find that if the airline is paying compo you cannot get insurance payment as well, you only get 'one bite at the cherry' so if the Insurance pay out you cannot accept compensation also, depends on the terms of travel insurance.

10. Re: Air asia cancelled flight and didn't tell us- compensation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 31, 2014