We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What At American Airlines, you are

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 4
What At American Airlines, you are

Yesterday I called American Airlines to select a seat assignment for a flight I had already booked. Only 2 -3 seats were shown as available, and I would have to pay an additional $40 to get a seat. I checked my husband's booking on the very same flight, and amazingly, there were lots of seats to choose from at no additional cost. He is an Advantage Platinum member, and I began to understand what was going on....most of the seats were blocked on my booking because I don't have enough Advantage miles to qualify for Gold or Platinum status. The story continues.....I then called AA to talk to an agent, reported my Advantage number, and the recording said I would have to wait on hold for at least 30-minutes. So....husband called with his Gold Advantage number, and an agent was available within seconds! Lesson learned....although I have an Advantage Account, but not enough miles to qualify for premium status, I am reduced, marginalized and discriminated against by American Airlines. Not only was I blocked from booking a seat, I was put on hold for more than 30 minutes!! (I can't help but take this personally....sniff, sniff.) Have others experienced somethining similar?

Edited: 1:55 pm, July 28, 2013
21 replies to this topic
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

Yep- they never upgrade me to first class for gratis when I have only paid coach-they can be so mean sometimes and quote some rubbish about not being a charity and if I flew more often with them and racked up more miles this wouldn't be such an issue

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
2. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

Is this a serious post or are you joking?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

>> although I have an Advantage Account, but not enough miles to qualify for premium status, I am reduced, marginalized and discriminated against by American Airlines. <<

What complete and utter rubbish. American, along with most if not all other airlines, provides benefits to their elite frequent flyers. These can include depending on status free seats in the "preferred" section (or free Economy Plus if the airline has that), complimentary upgrades, priority check in and boarding, and a dedicated reservations number. That's rewarding their most frequent (i.e. best) customers, not marginalizing the others. If you want everyone to have equal treatment, presumably you'll be happy for your husband to lose all his benefits.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

Every single airline has an elite program that rewards frequent fliers. Heck, your husband is one.

You can tag along with his status if you're traveling on the same flights as him. Have him call AA and link your reservation to yours and then you can pick the premier seats that he has access to.

Edited: 2:38 pm, July 28, 2013
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
5. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

I thought it was Yoda, for a moment!

Sorry, "thought it was Yoda, I did"

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

>> He is an Advantage Platinum member .... [later] ........ husband called with his Gold Advantage number<<

So what status is he, Gold (25k flier) or Platinum (50k)? If he's Platinum then your husband should be able to get you a Preferred seat for free, as Plats and up to 8 traveling companions can get those seats for free. You'd both have to be on the same reservation though, but if not your husband can call AA and ask them to combine your reservation numbers (it can be done but it's a long tedious manual process for the reservations agent).

From AA.com -

"Preferred Seats are standard legroom seats more favorably located within the Main Cabin. They are available for purchase when you book your flight, or up until the airport check-in cutoff time.

AAdvantage® elite status members as well as their oneworld® equivalents and full-fare customers have complimentary access to Preferred Seats*.

*AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum and active U.S. Military customers, as well as AAirpass® and oneworld® elite customers and Alaska Airlines MVP® , MVP® Gold and MVP Gold® 75K customers and up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation. AAdvantage® Gold customers will have complimentary access through December 2013."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/seats.jsp…

Edited: 2:54 pm, July 28, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

In the other news the sky is blue!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

Have him buy your ticket, or you buy it through his logon using a credit card in his name.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
9. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

Agree with the rest....

I am the lowest level of Air Canada's FF program, and well.... I get treated like the lowest level. DH is higher and he gets better treatment. He handles all the bookings etc and I sometimes get the benefits. O do not feel reduced, marginalised or discriminated against. I feel relief.

Edited: 3:39 pm, July 28, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: What At American Airlines, you are

I regularly fly El Al. They too have multiple tiers in their frequent flyer programs. I am near the bottom and get very little compared to higher status folk. I do not feel discriminated against. It is general policy all over the world in all businesses to reward those who give you the most business. Think the various levels of AMEX cards and who gets what, think who has status at banks and think who gets status in certain shopping clubs. Hey--I am a "VIP Zappos customer and get free overnight shipping. --compared to regular Zappos people who get free regular shipping. Do they feel "discriminated against" --I doubt it!

My sincere advice to the OP--Welcome to the real world and please get a life!

Reply to: What At American Airlines, you are
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted