We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hat's the worst airline

Auckland, New...
reviews: 24
hat's the worst airline

I've just returned from a very long trip to the UK, transported by China Southern. I will never, ever fly with that carrier again. The food was uneatable, in all of the meals I had, I never got my choice, but was just handed whatever was left. The cabin staff were supercilious, condescending, and in some cases downright arrogant. The seats were tiny and uncomfortable, and the condition of the aeroplane itself was grubby and well used. All the announcements were made in Mandarin (I think), and in broken english that was almost impossible to understand, and my in-flight entertainment unit was broken. I tried to ask for assistance, but none of the cabin staff spoke english well enough to understand what I was talking about. After all that, don't get me started on the condition of the terminal at Guangzhou! What's your worst experience ?

Edited: 6:24 pm, July 27, 2013
Auckland, New...
reviews: 24
1. Re: hat's the worst airline

I meant to say What's the worst airline!!!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: hat's the worst airline

You get what you pay for, unfortunately.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
3. Re: hat's the worst airline

My husband flew on Zambia Airways years ago....in the early '80s I believe, and the flight attendant served drinks by pulling a crate of beer down the aisle and opening the bottles with her teeth.

I always laugh at that.

Otherwise all my flights just blur together.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: hat's the worst airline

Air Zaire in the mid 80's was an interesting experience-now understand why Pope John Paul used to kiss the ground on arrival!!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 55
5. Re: hat's the worst airline

American Airlines. After flying LAN-Chile, TACA, AeroMexico, KLM, British Airways, EasyJet, and a slew of US-based carriers, I vote American Airlines the worst ever, hands down. I'll make sure never to fly China Southern, though. Thanks for the tip.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 95
6. Re: hat's the worst airline

You definitely get what you pay for. That being said they are introducing new 787's to the CAN-LHR route soon which would be interesting to test run, especially as the A380 from SYD-CAN will also be operating.

Etihad for me was a let down between AUH-MAN. Albeit a short flight, I found the aircraft condition, attitudes of the cabin crew poor.

Mind you given the fact on my VA flight to AUH from Sydney, most passengers I spoke to were dreading the Etihad leg I had some warning.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 49
7. Re: hat's the worst airline

Don't you guys ever check the reviews B4 you book???

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: hat's the worst airline

The least best that I've flown is Tarom. Two late November domestic flights between Bucharest and Iasi, 45 minutes flight time each way on an ATR42 turboprop.

Hardly representative of the entire airline, but you asked. And that's why I'd refuse to call any airline the "worst", or say "do not fly" unless I'd taken several flights spanning most of its entire fleet.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
9. Re: hat's the worst airline

My worst was MANY years ago on a PIA flight.

A mouse crawled out of a hole in the upholstery of the seat in front of me where it had made it's nest.

My funniest recollections of those days was flying Altialia. Whenever the plane landed the entire cabin full of passengers applauded.

South Pole
reviews: 37
10. Re: hat's the worst airline

Olympic back in the 60s.

after we 'crash landed" at Athens and the pilot taxied what was left of the aircraft to the terminal the Greeks on board were in uproar.

As they deplaned down the stairs there was a comical shouting match between them (esp the elderly ladies) and the pilot who had opened his cockpit window to return the abuse.