We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston airport ( IAH)???

california
reviews: 1
Houston airport ( IAH)???

Hello,

I am flying to Miami ( with United air) with a stop at Houston airport ( IAH) . If I have 40 minutes to 1 hrs, would it enough time to board the next fly segment .

On my way to Miami, I landed IAH airport at 6:00pm and depart again at 7:05pm . On my way back to the Bay area, I landed at 5:00pm at IAH airport and have 40 munites to catch my connection fly.

Does anyone know for United air which terminal United airplane will arrival from SFO to IAH and departure from IAH to MIA Please advise and thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

It depends on what type of plane you are flying from SFO. Usually the Airbuses come into the 16-20 gates in Terminal C.

Go to the United website and check what gates your flights used yesterday and today, and what they plan to use tomorrow and the next day. Click on flight status in the middle of the Home page. I can get between any gates across all the terminals in 15 minutes or less, but I'm familiar with the place. Your MIA flight should be out of terminal C or E.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 186
2. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

I would not be overly worried about this connection. If your arriving flight is delayed and you miss your connecting flight your airline has the obligation to make sure you arrive on the next available plane. The worst case situation would be that you would not be able to complete your journey until the following day, and the airline would pay for your hotel and meals.

Airlines have information to determine how long it takes to make a connection at every airport. If they allowed you to book a connecting flight only 40 minutes from your arriving aircraft you have a legal connecting time. This is all you really need to know.

california
3. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

GeoMedic /,Busy-retired

Thank you for your reply.

I check United website, the segment from IAH to MIA is the last fly united offer.

I am worried we may not made it on time for our cruise next day in Miami.

GeoMedic,

I will be flying with Boeing 737-300 air craft for both ways ( SJC to MIA around trip) check the United website as you said. However, my fly # is not available now. Maybe because it is still far in the future . My departure is next April, 2014.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

"and the airline would pay for your hotel and meals." - If it was the airline's fault. Weather, Air Traffic Control, Airport congestion, and (recently shown) other airline incidents do not have the airline providing additional support.

uop, I doubt that you will be on a 733. they have retired all of those. They currently operate 738, 752, and A319/320 aircraft to and from SFO. SJC certainly isn't SFO and you should expect a plane change in Houston. I'd predict a 738 IAH to MIA.

@
5. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

Glad someone corrected that. There are all kinds of situations where UA will not provide food vouchers and a hotel room.

----- "If your arriving flight is delayed and you miss your connecting flight your airline has the obligation to make sure you arrive on the next available plane. The worst case situation would be that you would not be able to complete your journey until the following day, and the airline would pay for your hotel and meals." -----

It could also take longer than "the following day" to get out. (Think of the cascading effects of weather issues.)

IAH is not a good place to be during IRROPS.

United does not book flights without flight numbers. You should have a flight number. Did you book through United?

@
6. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

It would be a good idea to find your flight numbers and book seats as near the exit doors as possible.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 95
7. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

----- "If your arriving flight is delayed and you miss your connecting flight your airline has the obligation to make sure you arrive on the next available plane."

It also means your seat choice goes in the tank since flights are packed so full these days.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

>> I am worried we may not made it on time for our cruise next day in Miami.<<

uop, you really are cutting it fine by planning to arrive just before a cruise departure. You should have allowed contingency for that, especially not flying in on the last flights the day before. It's not just the potential misconnect but the possibility that last IAH-MIA of the day could be canceled.

But, all may not be lost ....

>> My departure is next April, 2014.<<

That's a long way off and hence there's always the possibility of a schedule change for either flight. Watch your reservations frequently, and if the flights are rescheduled meaning United offers you alternatives, use that to negotiate (politely) for earlier flights.

If that doesn't happen within say 2 months of departure consider paying the change fee and fare difference and change your flights. ..,.

Or .... actually make that And ...... make sure you get a good travel insurance policy that covers you for "missed onward travel", whereby if you miss the cruise departure you're covered for an airfare to the cruise's next port of call to pick it up there.

Good luck.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
9. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

IAH is one of the easiest airports to get around. Also if you flying United I'm sure it would be in the same Gate location.

california
10. Re: Houston airport ( IAH)???

Thanks you for more valuable inputs.

Yes, I booked my air ticket with United airline . My fly number is UA1268 and it is 737-800 air craft ( not 737-300, my typo) as it shown in my itinerary.

At the time of booking, I did not realize my connection fly is the last one depart from IAH. I think my itinerary will be changed by United .I would like to know if IAH area has daylight saving time . All I hope for is my fly will departure and arrival on time (for the way from SJC to MIA) and in the same terminal at IAH .

Also plan to buy insurance for cruise in case we can not make it on time. Does anyone know if Texas has day light saving time?

Reply to: Houston airport ( IAH)???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted