We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Orlando, Florida
Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

I have an unofficial layover (meaning it was coordinated by a travel agent/agency) in Bangalore from Shanghai on Air China and I have to wait in the airport for 20 hours for another flight I am taking to Dubai (flying on Emirates). However I am an American and I do not have an Indian visa, is there any way I can arrange for my baggage to me immediately transferred from one line to the other before I fly on air china? I do not have a visa and I have been told that the Bangalore airports luggage belts are past the customs gate.

Please help!

Here is my itnerary:

1. Shanghai (Pu Dong) to Bangalore (BLR) - Air China

*20 hour layover*

2. Bangalore (BLR) to Dubai (DXB) - Emirates

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

That itinerary does not make a lot of sense. If tgey are separate tickets, I think you're going to have to go through immigration to both get your bags and check in for the second flight. That means you need a visa. I'm not sure if you can get a transit visa fir India. I'd seriously investigate that as air china may not let you board the first flight without a valid visa.

Orlando, Florida
2. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Why wouldn't they let me board if I'm not planning to leave the airport? That would be entirely ridiculous if you had to get a transit visa for every place you had a layover in. Your response was not helpful at all.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

How do they know you're not planning to leave the airport? The airline doesn't know you have an onward ticket: they're going to want to see your visa before letting you board. The response WAS helpful, you just don't want to hear it.

UK
reviews: 88
4. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

<<Why wouldn't they let me board if I'm not planning to leave the airport? That would be entirely ridiculous if you had to get a transit visa for every place you had a layover in. Your response was not helpful at all.>>

Wow talk about a rude and ignorant personal attack. Let me translate that for you;

"Your response was not helpful at all" = "Your response did not tell me what I wanted to hear because I just painted myself into a corner and can't accept the consequences"

And as for "Why wouldn't they let me board if I'm not planning to leave the airport? That would be entirely ridiculous" well just try transiting in a US airport as a a non-national and see what happens ! No US visa (or equivalent) = no boarding.

Anyway, with an attitude like that, I reckon you are on your own. Good luck.

Edited: 7:06 am, July 26, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Andres--what a rude nasty comment.

Wes is 100% correct in that you may have problems being allowed to board your initial flight. AND before you make comments about Air China ( I know, you weren't going to ) you may not realize that anyone who is changing planes right in the old USA, needs a valid VISA ( or ESTA) even if they have no intention of visiting the US and even if their layover is very short. If their feet are touching American soil they need permission! ( and now you can tell me i am unhelpful and probably nasty and rude on top of that)

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

You have to find out whether the travel agent has booked the flights as a single through ticket and whether Air China and Emirates have an interline agreement.

Orlando, Florida
7. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Yea um see how you specified they were "touching American soil", I'm not even leaving the terminal. So yea, you were just as unhelpful and just as unnecessarily redundant as Wes.

Orlando, Florida
8. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Darling, if I came here looking for an answer didn't want to hear why would I come looking in the first place? If they want an onward ticket, I can provide that for them no problem. And I wasn't being rude, I just said his response wasn't helpful, and it wasn't, and yours really isn't that either. There's nothing in the guidelines that says you can't tell something they weren't of much assistance to you or your predicament. Why am I going to lie and pretend like his advice was helpful when it really wasn't? I don't want to be a liar. In fact I would much rather be honest and blunt than engage in a lie like you are suggesting.

Orlando, Florida
9. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Thank you! That was a very helpful response, I checked and they are interline partners, the baggage transfer wont be any problem.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
10. Re: Unofficial layover in Bangalore worried about luggage.

Welcome to the forum Andres. There's a lot of expertise here from fellow travelers who have significant insight into the sometimes complex world of travel.

You do, indeed, may have some potential challenges with the way in which you were ticketed. Like it or not, air carriers bear a responsibility of ensuring that visas and passports are in order and face repercussions if they board a passenger without proper documentation. While you're not clear on this, if you are, indeed, on two separate tickets (Air China and Emirates), Air China is responsible to ensure that you have proper documentation to enter India. Good news is that Air China and Emirates do have an interline baggage agreement. If these are two separate tickets, it's imperative that you show Air China your ongoing ticket on Emirates and have them check the bag through to Dubai. Hopefully this will be sufficient.

You do know, I assume, that you will be limited to the transit area in Bangalore. You would not have the ability to leave to, for example, claim your bag.

If you have used the expertise of a travel agency, as you noted, this is a service that they should have managed for you. Maybe they have and the trip is on one ticket. But that wasn't clear in your post.

Good luck.