We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Singapore
reviews: 61
Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

I'm planning to fly between European cities on a tight 7 Days 6 Nights whirlwind tour.

How many hours b4 the flight departure time do I need to allocate, b4 my flights?

What I mean is, for international flights I usually arrive at the airport 3 hours b4 my departure time to check in.

Is it the same for inter-Europe flights?

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

2 hours is recommended but 90 mins is ok(slightly less time if you have only hand luggage) in respect on inter-Europe assuming you already have your boarding passes printed

Loughborough...
2. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Very much depends on the airline, airport, and the countries you are travelling between on the trip, but quite often check-in won't even open until 2 hours before departure. If both countries are in the Schengen area there is no Passport Control, which is a time saver, but there will always be a need to clear security. Checkin usually closes around 40-45 minutes before departure, and quite often especially with low-cost airlines you need to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure.

I'm sure we can all be more help if you can tell us the routes and airlines you will be using.

London, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

I always aim to be at the airport 2-3 hours before my flight, especially with LCCs. You never know how long the queues will be or how long it will take you to get through security checks. And TBH, I'd rather have to kill time at the airport than to miss my flight.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 70
4. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

I would give it 90mins to 2 hours. I often only have 1 hour in airports that Iknow.

UK
reviews: 85
5. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Aim to be at the airport 2 hours before, key word "aim" that way you have some leeway in case of delays en route, or at the several points in the airport where delays can occur.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Better an hour early than a minute late - some airlines WILL close checkin / bag drop PRECISELY at the time they should, even if you are standing in the queue.

Singapore
7. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

My 3 inter-city flights:

Brussels to Rome

Rome to Berlin

Berlin to Paris

All by Easy Jet.

UK
reviews: 24
8. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Are you checking baggage? If you are then allow 2 to 2.5 hours. If you're not then 90 minutes is plenty.

Singapore
9. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Trying my best not to check in any baggages.

I'm from Singapore.

Gonna cover 4 major cities in 7 days.

Another one of my "crazy" adventures...

UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: Inter-Europe Air Travel: How Many Hrs b4 Check-In

Make sure you familiarise yourself with Easyjet's baggage rules. ONE carry-on item only - and this does mean ONE, not "one and a camera bag" or "one and a laptop bag". Dimensions are also strictly enforced - but there is no weight limit as long as you can lift it into the overhead unaided.

Also, note that they have just introduced a new two-tier system for carry-ons. Items that are within the smaller one of their two size limits can always be carried on. Items above that, but within the standard IATA size limit, can be taken to the gate but may be gate checked (free of charge), depending on how full the flight is. It's all explained on Easyjet's web site.