We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Melbourne
reviews: 15
Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Hi

I just wondered whether anyone knows if a CARES harness impacts on the tv screen on the back of the seat or how the harness works if there is a tv screen on the seat back?

The CARES website refers to not interfering with the tray table but most modern international planes now have tv screens as well as trays.

I would be interested to hear from anyone as to whether this is an issue.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 212
1. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

We only used this once because there is no strap between the legs and our little one just wiggled right out of it. It does impact the tray table of the person sitting behind you. You either strap it on around the tray table so the person cannot use it, or you open the tray table, strap it around and then close the table and hope the clasp will hold the tray in place.

Our solution was to put a family member in the seat directly behind the child, but I would have been uncomfortable using it with a stranger sitting in that seat. It did not, however, block the AVOD screen.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

As a user/owner of the CARES harness myself, I would say it probably would not affect the tv, because they tend to be installed into the headrest of the seats. The CARES harness would sit much lower. Also, depending on how much you travel with your youngsters, it may be beneficial for you to rent a CARES harness for $23.99 (includes round trip shipping) instead of purchasing one brand new for $74.95. You can rent on here: www.CarefreeCARESharnessRentals.com.

Happy travels!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
3. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Cassie is quite correct.

In our use on several QF, CX and SQ flights, the strap was well below that of the screen.

We were also fortunate that the person behind were very understanding of us when we were attaching it - which only takes a matter of minutes if that.

derby
4. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Never mind being able to see tv, what about the person sitting behind you. There's no room without using the tray to eat, let alone trying to eat with the tray up.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

>>>Never mind being able to see tv, what about the person sitting behind you. There's no room without using the tray to eat, let alone trying to eat with the tray up<<<

Have you actually had a CARES user sitting infront of you?

The straps can be attached, and then the tray folded.

derby
6. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Yes I have and it did impact on me. Luckily it was a short flight. Perhaps the parents were doing something wrong, as they spent the whole flight constantly pushing their seat back on to me.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Yeah that's not good, and it doesn't sound right at all. There should be absolutely no need for them to recline the seat towards you, for anything to do with the CARES restraint.

Perhaps it was to do with just reclining it for the child?

Sorry to hear that.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

A CARES harness, when used properly, does not interfere with the tray table.

Reclining is another discussion entirely, and has nothing to do with a CARES harness.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
9. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used a CARES harness on business class seats?

I contacted the airline to see if they could tell me if it would work, but they weren't sure.

Is the strap long enough, and could you use it on the lay flat beds??

Thanks..

UK
reviews: 90
10. Re: Use of CARES harness on seat with tv

I think it's very unlikely it would work on business class seats and whilst it very much depends what sort of seat, the sort that fold back into a sort of couch (the lay flats I've seen, and even mostly flat) , even more unlikely since you generally can't get round the back of them.

There is also the issue that even if you could, the harness is unlikely to stretch far enough unless it really has a lot more capacity for adjustment that I'd expect, from what ive seen on their videos its aimed at standard fairly thin and not that wide economy seats so if it could extend that far on an economy seat there would be loads of harness dangling around as spare, not very safe.