We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on bags - Air Canada

Lincolnshire
Carry on bags - Air Canada

In a weeks time i'll be going to Orlando with Air Canada (BA from Manchester to Heathrow) and the carry on luggage size is 23 cm (H) x 40 cm (W) x 55 cm (L) in order to fit under the seat in front. Is this the same when putting in the overhead bins? Or can it be say 40 cm H x 55 cm L x 23 cm W? Not that it matters if it doesn't though my case is 15 cm W x 23.5 cm H x 46 cm L

Which is half a cm over but it's one of them duffle bags which can be squashed a little but would Air Canada allow it to be over a little if I didn't want to sqaush it? I know some Airlines allow some bags to be oversized (always hearing about it on travel sites) but mine would only be a cm which is nothing?

I just feel like i'd get to the Airport and get a jobs-worth :/

tucson, az
reviews: 6
1. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

I'm no expert but if it's a squashable duffel bag that can, in fact, be squashed down (i.e. not packed to capacity) I can't imagine they'll care.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

It has to go in the gauge cage so if it's soft will probably fit and they don't always ask you to put it into the cage anyway but you can only really be sure if it's within the size.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
3. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

Air Canada is not very vigilant about using a guage cage. You should have no problems, and the duffel bag is slighly squashable anyway.

Edited: 9:35 am, July 25, 2013
Lincolnshire
4. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

That's ok then. It'll be fine on BA cos they have a little bigger size than Air Canada. It can be squashed a little anyways if it was over so not to worry.

Thanks for your help!

UK
reviews: 26
5. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

Not directly related to your question... but I hope you left plenty of time for your connection at LHR? (I presume this is not all on one ticket, seeing BA and AC are in different alliances)

Re carry-on - I've never, in 14 years of flying Air Canada, been asked to put mine in a gauge. However, what I have seen (only on the return flight from YYZ) is people being made to take things out of their checked baggage to stay within the 23 kg. One year they actually had a weighing point half-way down the check-in queue, but that seems to have disappeared again.

Lincolnshire
6. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

Our connecting time at Heathrow with AC is 2 hours 30 minutes which should be more than enough time. It's only 20 minutes on the Heathrow express train to and from the terminals?

Also, regarding weight we should be fine. I have one of them luggage scales which go upto 36kg. There not exactly massive cases for checked luggage.

Edited: 12:46 pm, July 25, 2013
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
7. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

Aviatrix, this itinerary may still be on one ticket, although that is a good question. I would want much more than 2:30 if these were separate tickets.

BA and AC are interline partners, and you can book a ticket through one with segments on the other. You won't earn miles in a Star Alliance program on the BA legs or One World miles on the AC segment, but AC can issue a ticket on a BA flight.

Lincolnshire
8. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

What do you mean by 'one ticket' exactly? If you mean did I buy them seperately, no. I got it from ebookers as a flight package or whatever you call them?

Canada
reviews: 48
9. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

AC has never put my carry on in a cage. I wish airlines did use them more. It would stop overhead bin hogging.

10. Re: Carry on bags - Air Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 27, 2014