We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Mesa, in the US...
Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Hi, hope you can help me. I've researched but can't find the answer.

Book at BA.com, w/ AA codeshare. How, where to obtain the AA PNR so I can get AA seats now not wait for 24 hour prior departure at online ck-in?

I'm trying to book on British Airways (September) : OUTbound: PHenix-LHR-MADrid / INbound: BCN-LHR-PHX.

At BA.com I am willing to pay the seat selections for all flights. But can only do this on BA operated flights.

USA - Madrid are both American Airlines; seat selection on BA.com for AA codeshare only at online ck-in 24 hrs prior to departure.

I haven't booked yet; I was in the process of booking, but BA.com timed me out when I got stuck at BA.com seat selection page. I was looking for more info on how to pre-select seats on the AA airplanes.

If I book at BA.com now, can I select AA seats now? Is the AA PNR in the BA booking Confirmation page/receipt? Or do I have to call BA to get AA PNR? Or do we really have to wait for 24 hours OLCI to get our AA seats?

Thank you.

Janjon

Edited: 12:45 pm, July 24, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
1. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

I believe you will have to call BA to get the AA PNR.

Once you get the AA PNR, use that to go to AA's website, and you should be able to pick a seat in most cases (unless the flight is almost full so it's no longer accepting advance seat selection). Unlike BA and some other airlines, you can choose your seat on an AA plane in advance without paying additional money.

Note that even for AA, some premium seats do require additional payment, unless you have status with AA or Oneworld. If you do, enter your frequent flier number at the traveler information section of your AA booking page, reload, and you will have access to better seats for free.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
2. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

It is not unusual to have to get the PNR from the original airline with which you booked.

Just call them.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

PHX-LHR-MAD//BCN-LHR-PHX is all on BA metal so you'll have to pay for seat selection. Your AA PNR won't do you any good. It sounds like you bought seats on BA flights that also carry AA flight numbers through their codeshare agreement.

Or are you not mentioning some flights, such as PHX-DFW-MAD or BCN-LHR-DFW-PHX? AA doesn't fly from Phoenix to London, only BA does, and AA doesn't fly internal routes in Europe.

Edited: 1:20 pm, July 24, 2013
Mesa, in the US...
4. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

I apologize for error on outbound. I meant: Outbound is PHX-Miami-Madrid. Book on BA.com but all on AAcarriers, the seats of which I can't pre-select at time of booking on BA.com

I prefer booking w/ BA.com bec the return flight: BCN-LHR-PHX departs BCN 10:15 am. Whereas at AA.com the BCN departure is later at 11:35 arriving LHR at 1:00 pm, cutting it to close to the LHR-PHX(USA) leg that departs 2:40 pm.

If I book on BA.com, is the AA PNR going to be on the BA.com booking confirmation/receipt or will they not give this to me until 24 hours prior to departure at online check-in? Or do I have to call BA? I've read of some people who did this and couldn't get their AA PNR from BA. Anecdotal, maybe. The process is not clear. The only thing that's clear on BA.com re: AA codeshare is that AA seat selection is at 24hr check-in.

My nightmare is booking this itinerary, not getting seats w/ an overbook AA flights PHX-Miami-Madrid. Meanwhile those booking on AA.com are getting their seats.

Thank you.

Janjon

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
5. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Phone BA and ask for the AA record locator, or phone AA and give them the specific flight details. When you get the AA locator, go on AA.com and you ought to be able to select seats on the AA-operated flights. For the BA-operated segments, you'll have to pre-pay.

I would definitely do a price comparison before booking on BA's site v. AA's.

On AA's site you can include "AA and Oneworld" for the (advanced) search, or search by departure time, which ought to bring up the earlier BCN-LHR segment. Even so, I wouldn't sweat a 1:40 transit at LHR - quite easy.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Have you tried looking at the cost to buy two one way tickets, one on AA.com and the other on BA.com? One way tickets are not automatically more expensive like they used to be. I'd at least check it out.

Otherwise, if you book on BA, you should be able to call them to get your PNR for the AA flights and then go online or call AA to reserve seats. AA does not charge for seat selection like BA does.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

You don't need to call AA to get your PNR. Just go to Manage My Booking on the BA website, select the AA portion of your journey and go to select a seat. It will then ask you whether you agree to BA transmitting your data to AA. There is a box below which contains your PNR for you to copy and paste if you don't want the automatically transmitted. Et Voila - AA PNR obtained.

Mesa, in the US...
8. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Thanks Original SBW. So the AA PNR is given at time of booking on BA.com Manage My Booking?

Or do you mean AA PNR is given at BA.com MMB at 24 hours prior departure online check-in?

I've never booked w/ BA before so I don't know how BA does things.

Don't want to risk booking at BA and not getting a seat at AA long haul Miami-Madrid. Or being bumped off altogether if this flight is overbooked.

Thanks again.

JanJon

Edited: 4:11 pm, July 24, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

The AA PNR is definitely assigned when you book the ticket. Whether you can get it off the BA website or not, I'll let someone else answer.

Mesa, in the US...
10. Re: Book BA.com, AA plane: How to get AA seats NOW. AA PNR?

Gracias for all your answers. I've decided to not book w/ BA or AA. My new itinerary is a lot easier now. I got our seats. I would've ponied up for a business class but I just got my Family Therapy degree so I got to pay my student loans.

Am thrilled. Spain. Yay.

Janjon