We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Travelocity Safe

Long Beach...
reviews: 21
Is Travelocity Safe

I am planning a trip to the Galapagos and I have been warned against using CheapoAir.

I was wondering if the same principle pertains to sites like Travelocity and Orbitz. I have found flights substantially cheaper to the Galapagos on Travelocity than directly through American Airlines. I would imagine the savings come from the multiple airlines utilized.

If I run into problems once booked, can I work with the Travelocity people to fix anything that goes wrong?

Also, is it worth paying for the insurance through Travelocity?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Travelocity and Orbitz are better for booking than cheapoair.com, but I would think twice before booking a complicated routing that will have been put together by an algorithm rather than a person.

The website will cherrypick fares from airlines A, B and C, and may be able to create a routing, as you say, 'substantially cheaper'. But consider that the cobbled-together journey may be a collection of single flights rather than a through ticket: miss a connection with separate tickets and you'll be out of luck for the next sector, as airline A wil have contracted to fly you from (eg) MIA to LIM; airline B's flight from LIM to SCL will be a separate matter, and if you miss it because of a late arrival from MIA then you'll be out of luck.

The third party website may have a program that considers the minimum connection time sufficient for transferring at some airports, where in fact the MCT should be half again what is suggested. The website isn't going to 'know' this - but you will if you make the booking and consider all parameters.

For a complicated routing, I'd book with the airline or have a chat with a good travel agent. Stick with airlines within the same alliance if you can, and look to make through bookings rather than a collection of singles.

Travel insurance is certainly worth it. Rather than choose what the website offers, shop around a little. Even if you are not a member of your state's Automobile Association, check their website to see what's offered, as they may have a package that will suit your needs at a very good rate.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Travelocity is a much more reputable online booking agent than Cheapoair, that's for sure. However, if anything needs changing on your flight(s) - and that could include schedule changes from the airline(s) - you will still have a middleman to deal with.

What is the schedule you're looking at? If the itinerary is substantially on American, you may be able to book it by phone directly from American as an "interline" ticket for somewhere near the fare you're seeing on Travelocity.

Next port of call would be a reputable full service travel agent, one you can speak to and discuss options before booking.

Travelocity may be ok, but read their T+Cs in case they have their own additional fees should you need to change your flights.

Edited: 1:38 am, July 24, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
3. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

It's been said here many times before, if at all possible book directly with the airlines, 3rd part websites even the most reliable ones are a problem if something goes wrong with the flight, it only takes an airline to change a flight so that you don't make the connecting one to land you in trouble.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Travelocity and Orbitz are both very reputable sites and if you can save a lot of money, I would not hesitate to book there. But as others pointed out, be aware it's more difficult to change anything when you book through the third party site. So if that happens, don't expect great customer service. That's one of the trade offs you accept when booking through the third party.

And definitely double check to make sure you can't get the same routing at the same price through the airline's own site before booking.

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 22
5. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

I've used Travelocity repeatedly and have never had a problem with them. As far as travel insurance goes, the one thing you have to watch out for is that almost all trip insurance policies exclude pre existing conditions.

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Reading through the responses here, I've had a very different experience which may be relevant depending on the particulars of you travel and your situation. I’ve traveled many, many times back and forth to the Republic of Armenia and Georgia, and broadly throughout Europe and the transcaucasus region, having family there. I live in the United States as a permanent resident, and have never had problems traveling there or about before, until this time. With my father suffering a stroke, and in an increasingly unstable condition, I booked travel through Travelocity, which connected me through two European cities, Frankfurt and Vienna, before continuing on to Yerevan, Armenia. Note in the process of completing my reservation, I did note to check my documents for visa requirements for my FINAL destination, which I did. So I arrive at the airport, bags in hand, with contingent plans at my destination with family and was turned away by the airline, and had my reservation canceled. I was directed to contact Travelocity, along with another group of travelers having the EXACT same issue having booked through Travelocity – apparently this is a consistent thing with people who have used their service. After two hours of back and forth at the airport, we try to field an independent solve with no help forthcoming from Travelocity customer service, and head back home. I continued the frustrating journey for answers the next day with their customer service team who had zero answers for me, and continue to switchboard me to new people in a maddening cycle of confusion, until I’m finally told there’s nothing they can do for me, and put me onto the airline who says they also can do nothing for me, other than provide me with credit contingent on a higher future ticket fee, plus a $340 change fee, plus adjustment in travel fare. To give you all a taste of what this actually means, I had them run a separate ticket fare using this credit and the additional dollar amount including change fee and adjusted fare for my destination was over $4000 – on top of my “credit.” So, so, so helpful. So my $1300 is a complete wash and I feel like my money was stolen. A quick search now reveals this is an issue many, many people have encountered, to similar ends. How hard would it be to put a system redundancy in place to alert travelers to intermediary transit visa issues like this, outside of obvious final destination visa issues? SO INFURIATING. If they abided by their “customer bill of rights” I’d at least have a solve or some clarity at hand – zero assistance. All this is to say, do not use Travelocity. I’ve now booked a separate ticket leaving tomorrow, and having alerted them to me being a permanent resident, they provided an itinerary with ONE European transit point, instead of two, thereby allowing me zero transit visa issues en route to my final destination. Only cost me an additional $1600. Steep price, but lesson learned. Be forewarned, do your research on Travelocity before you use their service. It may cost you much more in real terms, beyond the minor savings advertised in a direct fare comparison with other similar services. My advice – book with a service who has your best interests in mind and who care about you and your customer experience, not just your money. Or as other commenters said, try and book directly with the airlines; probably worth the minor additional headache of coordinating everything independently.

Iowa
reviews: 27
7. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Lucine....If you condense that and use paragraphs I would read it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

Unfortunately, the passenger is *ALWAYS* the one responsible to ensure appropriate visas are present for final and transit points. It isn't the US permanent resident aspect that is tripping you up, It is your citizenship. This is not a Travelocity issue.

And yes... non-rambling paragraphs would have helped.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
9. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

On line booking agents like Travelocity are not there to provide service like a walk in travel agency.

They are on line to make it easy and possibly inexpensive for you to buy tickets on airlines!

It is up to the passenger to do all the research about visas/entry requirements for various countries.

It is also up to the passenger to read carefully to see if the time allowed for transferring from one leg of the trip to the next leg is truly enough time!

Do not assume that because Travelocity books a ticket that has been cobbled together with many airlines ,that all the airlines will have reciprocal agreements for moving your luggage.

Do not assume that the time to change planes will automatically be enough time!

Do not assume that you will be in the same terminal for the next leg of your trip.

In other words it is "safe" to buy the ticket from Travelocity if YOU have done your research about everything that could possibly be involved before you hit BUY.

Once you buy the ticket it will be difficult to change things.

This is also true if you buy from an airline but when you have a very complicated route then more things can go wrong and it is harder to fix when a 3rd party is involved.

10. Re: Is Travelocity Safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, November 25, 2013