We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

Milton Keynes...
1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

I decided to book an indirect flight for my 1 first solo trip simply because it was so damn cheaper! now I don't really know what I was thinking!! has anyone done this before for their first time alone? would also like to point when I say first time alone I honestly do mean it lol, never even flown somewhere just with friends before, always been with my parents :s I know it will be alright really luckily its Oslo/Norway i'm going to first and they speak good English there from what I've heard, more just wondering how peoples experiences have gone, how they may have dealed with nerves and kept a cool head etc. if people could let me know their experiences that'd be great!!

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
1. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

How old are you ?

travelling by yourself is fine

Hants, UK
reviews: 17
2. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

You will be fine, first time I flew alone I had to get from USA to France where my mum was in hospital, I went from Washington DC to New york to LHR to LGW to Toulouse, then a train to Lourdes, it took me nearly 3 days, you will surprise what you can do when you have to.

Don't worry just look forward to your adventure.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

It will be fine. Keep calm, look at the screens for your flight, follow directions, get to the airport early etc. If you are stuck there are plenty of airport staff to ask.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 175
4. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

I agree, it will all be fine. I did my first solo air trip a few years ago with indirect flights to the US. One stop there and two stops on the way back. It was a breeze!

Quebec City
reviews: 34
5. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

I flew alone for the first time when I turned 18. I had three flights to take to reach Los Angeles where I was going to meet a friend I'd met on the internet. Needless to say the flights were actually the less stressful part of the trip! Haha! Anyway, it was all fine, even with two flights cancelled, and one delayed out of the total six for the trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

With what airline(s) have you booked, and what's the routing? If you've booked a low cost carrier to Oslo Torp (Sandefjord) keep in mind it's 118 km south of Oslo itself. If you're booked to OSL Gardermoen, it's an easy trip from airport to city centre.

Everyone has to fly solo a first time, so if you need to ask for advice or help along the way, do so. Keep an eye on airport signs, allow plenty of time to reach the airport and the gate, and enjoy the new experience.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
7. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

I've been flying solo for so long that I can't even remember my first experience; but, I do know that every flight and each new itinerary is an education. Fortunately, airports - at least those in Europe and in North America - are set up to deal with uninformed and anxious travelers. Relax, arrive early, follow directions, and enjoy the experience. After flying this one itinerary, you will be an air travel veteran.

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
8. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

You'll be fine. My first-time solo was supposed to be Minneapolis-Dallas- Santiago, Chile-Cordoba, Argentina. It ended up being Minneapolis-Dallas-Los Angeles- Lima, Peru-Santiago-Cordoba, and took an extra 22 hours. Everyone I met (AA and LAN) wanted to be super helpful, and if they spoke no English they passed me on to someone who could. Pay attention to something other than your phone and listen to something other than ear buds :) and you'll be fine.

9. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, July 24, 2013
Burnham, United...
reviews: 123
10. Re: 1st time flying solo and its an indirect flight am i insane?

As others here have said, you'll be fine. Oslo is a medium sized airport with lots of monitors to check flight connections and gate information. The signs leading you to the gates are clear & most of the people speak English if you need to ask for assistance. It's a great time of the year to be flying, stay safe and have a great time!