We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

London UK
Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

I booked flights for myself and my wife from Heathrow to Osaka and return from Tokyo with KLM/Air France. The price was extremely good compared to everyone else although the return leg does involve a lay over in Schiphol overnight and return to London City rather than Heathrow - none of which is a problem for us because of the good price.

But I have just noticed after receiving my confirmation and e-ticket details is that all three of our return flights are classified as premium economy (including the long haul return on an Air France A380). I certainly didn't pay for premium and am just wondering if this is a mistake that will mean we'll be brought down to earth when we check in for the flights.

I have had many upgrades in the past, but never at the booking stage!

What are the odds, guys?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
1. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Why don't you try to select your seats? You'll see then in which cabin you'll be flying...

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

When booking online, this sort of thing happens. I think you lucked out, Lucky You! It could be that overnight in AMS - a class compromise. (sounds like this does not include a hotel room)

I agree with the other answer - it's always best to call your airline and reserve those seats, anyway.

London UK
3. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Someone else who flies KLM frequently says that for connections the whole chain has to be the same class? The final hop is CityJet, which is an Air France subsidiary and as you will probably know KLM and Air France are basically the same company. CityJet Avro RJ85 aircraft seats are sold as 100% premium economy.

Our return flights aren't until 7th August and so we can't check-in online and choose seats until 30 hours before departure, unless someone has an alternative suggestion?

Edited: 1:00 pm, July 23, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

One of the three things could have happened:

1. Economy became full, and you have been upgraded for free; or

2. When you booked your ticket, you actually booked a mixed class ticket of economy on the outbound, then PE on the return. This happens on some airline websites automatically if economy (on the return leg) was full. They might have automatically booked the next available class and fare;

3. KLM really didn't mean it when it said PE, and you still might wound up sitting in economy.

London UK
5. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Thanks for the responses - I will let you know how it turns out after the 7th!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
6. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

For the sake of clarification, KLM doesn't have a real PE. They do have a product that must be booked separately after having bought an economy ticket. Online you are given the possibility to pay an extra fee to either book an extra legroom seat (1st and exit rows) or "upgrade" to comfort seats (not sure about the name), that are actually economy seats with a little more legroom and seat recline in the front of the cabin.

AF does offer premium economy.

Edited: 10:00 am, July 24, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
7. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Good luck, hope you get a nice surprise :)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
8. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Hopefully you'll get the upgrade, let us know after you've booked your seats if you've been lucky.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
9. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

Maybe the return flight is operated by AF so it has a PE section?

Leeds, United...
10. Re: Booked economy but shows premium economy on return leg

i'm hoping to book a flight to Adelaide Australia frpm Manchester next march travelling alone which airline would you recommend and which would be the safest and best airport to change at. i have a slight disablity to my left leg and arm which can be difficult at times for walking and carrying bags.