We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

Leicester, United...
reviews: 20
Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

I live in Leicester and am trying to book a 2 night stay in Newquay this August with my partner. I have searched and searched for cheap flights from East Midlands Airport to Newquay Cornwall Airport and average return flights are around the £350 mark! and that is £350 EACH! It is unbelievable. I can book a 7 night holiday abroad for that. Why so expensive? I would drive but it's nearly a 6 hour drive and i'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 185
1. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

There are several factors. The good weather, reduced competition etc. These two factors for sure have caused a stark increase in fares across the UK.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
2. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

Simply supply and demand.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
3. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

some domestic flights are cheaper than the train fares....explain that

London, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

If your trying to fly from East Midlands then the prices you're getting are probably for multi sector flights as there are no direct flights on that route.

If you want to cut your driving down then you could always get to Southend and get a direct flight from there - I would think that be much cheaper than £350 (although if you drive then you'd need to pay for parking)

Leaving booking late for a flight at the height of the holiday season won't have helped your cause though.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

There's no obvious way to fly that route that I can see.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

Newquay is not serviced by that many airlines-you could always drive to somewhere like Southend(EasyJet) which would take about 2 1/2 hours min, then check in,then flight and the whole lot will take you only slightly less time than the 6 hours you can drive it in and the cost in fuel will be less than two tickets-because of your geographical position my advice would be drive instead of fly

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
7. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

You have left it very, very late to book. I would expect it's only seats in the highest price bracket left.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
8. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

Get up nice and early and drive it.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

LOL - There are some funky routings coming up on skyscanner for this journey... Easiest outbound seems to be a 16 hour trip via EDI.

OP. Just take the car.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 4
10. Re: Why are UK domestic flights so ridiculously expensive?

There's only one airline I can see that will allow you to fly on one ticket from East Midlands to Newquay and that's flybe.

Even then there's at least one stop- one routing I saw on their site was East Midlands - Edinburgh - Belfast - Newquay.

With a bizarre routing like that, expensive fares are sometimes part of the territory.

As others have said, much better to drive- why not break up the journey and have a night en route?