We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Georgia
Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

What is the best way to book one way to Maui, inter-island filght to Kauai, then a.m. flight Kauai to Oahu for one day at Pearl Harbor, then return to ATL from HNL?

12 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

In my experience one way flights can be very expensive. I think you need to be looking at either a multi city or open jaw flight from ATL to Maui/HNL to ATL with separate bookings for your inter island flights.

Check matrix for your options.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
2. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Best way is to check the airline's Web site and try various combinations. Sometimes one-way flights are very high and sometimes not, but I agree, a multi-city itinerary sounds best for you (e.g.,ATL-OGG and HNL-ATL on Delta).. I'd go to Delta's Web site and check. For Maui-Kauai-Oahu legs, I'd agree with above, and probably book separately on Hawaiian Airlines. I don't know if Delta's Web site would price out the complete itinerary, with inter-island flights, for you, using Hawaiian or other local carrier, but no harm in checking.

Earlier this year we flew US Airways to Maui, and then back home from LAX, making separate arrangements for inter-island flights and our Hawaii-mainland flight. Worked out fine.

Edited: 4:58 pm, July 22, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
3. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Aloha,

There's a nonstop from ATL to HNL. This is on a twin-aisle, wide body 330. Other DL options will be on smaller, single-aisle jets.

Check your pricing for all options - RT, one-way, open-jaw, and multi-city. Go from there.

If you're flexible, check alternate travel dates to possibly find lower fares.

Good luck.

Aloha

Georgia
4. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Thank you very much! The matrix will be very helpful

Georgia
5. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Thank you kindly for all your responses. Great info and suggestions.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
6. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Yes by all means use the Delta direct to HNL A330 for your mainland to Hawaii r/t segments.

You can book interisland with Hawaiian easily enough. Most people would advise avoiding GO! airlines for interisland. Island Air is ok but would be my second choice after Hawaiian.

Georgia
7. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Hi again. With a slight change in travel dates I snagged a R/T ATL/HNL fare for under $480 (twin aisle-330 wide body) and will book inter-island travel separately as suggested. Next question: If we fly from Kauai early morning our final day to HNL with 8pm departure to ATL, will we be able to check in for the evening flight (and get rid of our bags) and have enough time to spend at Pearl Harbor and Arizona memorial?

OR, should we plan to return to HNL the evening before our departure stateside and ask the hotel to hold our bags during the day or request a late check out?

Thx.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
8. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

If you book with Hawaiian and can get your Delta and Hawaiin tickets (PNR) combined into one PNR you can check your bags in Kauai all the way through to Atlanta without having to pick them up and recheck them at HNL.

I probably would not get a room for just one night just to see Pearl Harbor.

BTW, if you are leaving soon be aware the government shutdown has caused the closing of the Arizona memorial as it is a federal park.

Edited: 2:58 pm, October 03, 2013
Georgia
9. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

Thx for your response. Pls define PNR? We're booked on United, not Delta. Trip isn't for another few months, so surely the Nat'l Park sites will be open by then!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
10. Re: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return

passenger name record - PNR. If you book separate tickets you will have a PNR with Untied and a PNR with Hawaiian. You need to try to combine them into one other wise you will be picking up your bags in HNL and rechecking them as Hawaiian's new policy is to not through check bags unless all flights are on the same PNR. Since United and Hawaiian code share you should be able to combine tickets but will have to call to do that.

Reply to: Atlanta to Maui, Kauai, Oahu Return
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted