We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

London, United...
reviews: 3
Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Hi

My Mother (67)is going on holiday to LA soon for 40 days.

Has anybody ever purchased travel insurance through multitrip.com or Greatcover.com as they come up in confused.com searches.

Or anyone that can reccommend a good budget Travel insurance company.

Insure and Go,Atlas,Flexicover Direct and Saga?

Thanks

31 replies to this topic
Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 101
1. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Good and budget are not a good mix when it comes to travel insurance. You need to pay for quality insurance especially as your elderly mother is going to America.

I think Saga Insurance is a good place to start, but shop around not for the cheapest but for the best level of cover for your mother. Read the T&Cs and disclose any preexisting medical conditions your mother has.

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
2. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

They don't exist. They'll try to get out of whatever they can. As said above you get what you pay for. Be honest when filling in the forms and keep your fingers crossed nothing happens.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Good and budget might not be the same thing - the following companies were recommended by the Daily Telegraph (Travel Section) for independent travellers but you'll need to search these and others to find the best policy as I would expect premiums to vary considerably from insurer to insurer.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/

http://www.pjhayman.com/

barclays.co.uk/Insurance/…P1242579693897

Edited: 4:14 pm, July 22, 2013
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Check out moneysupermarket it's a comparison website very good with lots of policies you can compare. I've used Flexicover before, very good and Columbus

Warwickshire...
reviews: 34
5. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

We used Direct Travel, and they paid out when I had to cancel at short notice due to a life-threatening illness. We (well, MrP as I was too ill) had to fill in various forms and get a doctor's certificate, but they paid up in full with little hassle.

wirral
reviews: 81
6. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

I too have an annual travel insurance policy with Direct Travel. I have been insured with them for 12 years and had 2 claims for cancellation ( close family death and personal illness).Once I provided the proofs claims were settled with no hassle.

Insurance is not about cost.It is about how you are treated in the unlikely event of a claim.Do not go for the cheapest.

MERSEYSIDE
reviews: 56
7. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Had a very good experience with flexicover when they brought mum home in air ambulance. They took over and organised everything and I totally disagree when people say they just try to wriggle out of paying. This was not our experience at all, they could not have been more caring and professional.

Agree with disclosing everything though

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 95
8. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

Whatever you do don't scrimp on insurance if you are going to the States, make sure you have adequate cover in case of emergencies. Generally, the cheaper the cost the less cover you have. Many people have been caught out. Any pre existing conditions must be declared otherwise your policy could be null and void.

9. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, July 23, 2013

London, United...
reviews: 47
10. Re: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?

I would recommend Liverpool Victoria (now for some reason called LV=) or John lewis.

I've been with LV for many years, and although I've never needed to claim on the travel insurance, I've had claims against car and household insurance with them, and they paid out very promptly.

Reply to: Can you recommed me a good UK travel insurance company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted