We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways & AA Merger

Texas
reviews: 80
US Airways & AA Merger

Do you think the US Airways and American Airlines merger will effect prices either negatively or positively?

24 replies to this topic
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Think fares will head north on long haul flights as one less competitor-how much? who knows!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Personally I don't think it's that simple as I would not be surprised to see some fares decrease whilst others will increase - there will be those who will simply assume that any increase is due to the merger when other factors will contribute.

London
reviews: 73
3. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Impossible to tell.

They won't necessarily go up.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

With one less competitor, the merger certainly won't make them go down.

London
5. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Can you be certain about that?

There are so many factors at play that it is completely impossible to isolate the effect of any of them.

Isn't it possible that efficiency savings realised by combining two major airlines may result in a reduction in fares? (I'm not saying it will, just that it's possible!)

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Yes, I'm certain. Pricing is marjet based. less competition equals higher prices. At best you won't notice the impact. They certainly will not go down because of the merger.

London
7. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Not necessarily.

What if there is a huge drop in demand for a particular route?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 54
8. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

When Continental merged with United their BOS-IAH fares went up and they eliminated some of those non-stop flights,you just never know.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

Why would an airline merger cause demand to drop? Because if the merger suddenly people won't want to fly between two particular cities?

When they merge, they'll cut routes they both fly, leaving fewer flights with the same demand there was before. At best things will stay the same.

London
10. Re: US Airways & AA Merger

I didn't say that the merger would cause demand to drop. The demand could drop due to some completely unrelated event over the same period.

You would be unable to determine how much of the price rise/fall had been caused by the merger and how much by the drop in demand.

Reply to: US Airways & AA Merger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted