We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Hi,

Hubby and I are flying to Rome in April. The flight has a layover at JFK. We arrive at JFK at 3:20pm, and depart at 4:35pm. We arrive at Terminal 4 and leave from Terminal 1. My question is, if our luggage is cross checked, meaning we do not need to check our bags again, will we have enough time to get to the departing gate? My husband will need a wheelchair, and assistance. Or am I cutting it WAY too close? I would freak out if we missed the flight to Rome!! Thanks!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Bearing in mind you need assistance to get from gate to gate I think it's a bit tight - in most cases the assistance is waiting as you get off the plane but not always.

With around 75 minutes to make the connection there is little room for delays to your first flight and it might have been better to have a longer connection to reduce the risk and your stress levels but assuming the flight has been booked there is not a lot you can do now.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

I think it is tight. While the departure is 4:35, you usually have to be on the plane before then. Is this on one ticket? Then the airline has some responsibility, if not--bad, bad, bad,

As said, usually the individuals who are giving assistance are waiting for the plane as it lands, but there is no guarantee. Also, you are assuning the plane lands strictly on time. Depending upon where your gate is, that is a walk. I am surprised at your landing at Terminal 4, since that is generally international arrivals. Who are you flying in each segment?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Get an earlier flight from LAX. What if your first flight is 30 or 40 mi items late? It would only take a very small delay for you to miss the connection and really mess up your trip.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
4. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

As long as your booked on a through ticket the airline has the responsibility to get you on the flight, so I would risk it.

Liverpool, UK
5. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

"As long as your booked on a through ticket the airline has the responsibility to get you on the flight, so I would risk it."

The airline has a responsibility to get you to Rome but not necessarily on your original flight if the flight from LAX is delayed - in my experience airlines don't hold flights to wait for passengers, if you miss the JFK to FCO flight they will get you on the next flight with empty available seats as airlines don't bump passengers to seat other delayed passengers.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Delta's flights from the west coast land at Terminal 4 now. I am surprised that you are not also using Delta to fly to Rome. I suppose you got a better price on Alitalia or some other European airline???

You will have to go through security again at the new terminal.

Flights to Europe generally start boarding one hour before take off time.

Which exact airlines are you flying??? I would not like this connection at all if it were my flight!

Edited: 9:39 am, July 22, 2013
7. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

Luckily I havent booked yet!! I do have the option of doing Delta, but the return flight has me at a 19 hour layover in Paris. Which, hey, it's Paris.....but I dont want to have to deal with customs twice. I'm gonna go back and check things out. I am not booking until February any way due to finances, was just curious. And the reason I choose Alitalia is their new Premium Economy section looks NIIIIIICE!! Thank you all for your help!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
8. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

'...but I dont want to have to deal with customs twice.' If you will make an connection at Paris CDG then French customs (interested in goods one brings into a country) won't enter the picture.

You will, at CDG, go through a border check in order to have your passports stamped out from the Shengen zone. This is usually not a difficult process, usually a matter of the border agent checking your passport for the stamp to enter Schengen then stamping it for the exit.

If you depart directly from Rometo the States, you will go through the same Schengen exit procedure at FCO before going through to the Departures area.

9. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

OH! Ok! Can you tell I havent traveled internationally? Well, not since I was a child!! Thank you for your help. We've decided to go with Delta, and if we leave on a Monday instead of a Sunday, there is a flight that has a 5 hour layover on the way home at JFK. Works out beautifully! THANK YOU ALL for your help!! So appreciated!!

10. Re: Flight from LAX to FCO, layover at JFK QUESTIONS!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 25, 2014