We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Darlington, United...
reviews: 3
Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Has anyone had problems with jet 2..

I went to check in on line yesterday to find our seats have changed, there is myself & husband & 2 children (13) I pre booked seats 9 months ago and paid £56, my husband rung jet2 and was told they have sold our seat to someone else howcan they do this?? They said they had changed the aircraft so my husband said does this aircraft not have a row 24?? he just ignored that comment. they have split us all up as well so we are not sitting anywhere near each other, after asking for a supervisor/manager whom we never got to speak to he came back on & said we reimbursed your money to your credit card. I am livid to say the least, as the seats we choose we're behind my sisters family of 4 so we would all be together, any advise would've grately appreciated.

69 replies to this topic
Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
1. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Unfortunately it does sometimes happen when the originally planned aircraft gets swapped for another. Perhaps explain again when you arrive at the airport check in and see if they can help.

London, United...
reviews: 47
2. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Have you checked with your sister that they're still sitting where they think they are?

As Daisy said, it does sometimes happen. Maybe it's worth seeing if you can still get a bunch together - possibly all the original bookings were cancelled, and there's a load of seats to pick from.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
3. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Try and get to the airport early (as they always hold some seats back) and you may be lucky.

Darlington, United...
4. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Thanks for comments. Yea my sisters booking stayed the same.

they never even emailed to tell me of this change & would not reimburse us our money back till we asked to speak to a supervisor so they will of had two sets of money for the same seats. We checked and there are no seats left together they are all reserved, I wish I hadn't told my children as they are now worried about sitting on there own.

Don't know if I should ring them back or ring abta. I wouldn't mind if I was just trying to prebook seats now, but I pre booked these flights the day the flight opened last year

UK
reviews: 88
5. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Don't know if I should ring them back or ring abta

=======

ABTA wont (and can't) do anything. You aren't guaranteed seats even if booked, I agree its shoddy they changed it, they didnt tell you, they wouldnt have reimbursed you until you complained, but this stuff happens and if all other seats are booked, the alternative would be to move someone else instead, still to the same effect.

If I understand correctly your kids are 13? Surely they can sit by themselves for a few hours without crying? They must have been on a bus or similar? How long is this flight?3 or 4 hours? So, ask at checkin, maybe they can shuffle things round a bit, but worst case give the kids a book, an electronic game etc, they will be fine, and taking your first flight "solo" is part of growing up, at least they get to do it with trainer wheels on, eg with parents in the same plane. In 5 years time they'll be heading off to Benidorm or Magaluf entirely without you :-)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
6. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

Seat numbers are never guaranteed with any airline, and are always subject to change. Abta couldn't help you with it anyway. It's the airline that's changed the aircraft and your seats, and they aren't members of Abta.

You can always ask at check in, but at 13, I would have thought your children are more than capable of sitting on their own, and looking after themselves for a few hours.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

The airlines block off a certain amount of seats so there will probably be other seats available when you arrive at the airport, you might not be able to sit near your sisters family but i'm sure you'll all be assigned seats together at the check in but get there early.

Darlington, United...
8. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

I have just been on t&c paying for pre booking seats is your guarantee that you could sit as a family together where you book your seats, jet2 also state they won't allow children under the age of 14 to be sat without an accompany adult so they are breaching there own t&c. To top it off I have just gone back on manage my booking, they have changed our seating since last night again for 3rd time. We are still all apart, think this is so unprofessional of a massive company like this. We will have to get to the airport early and speak to someone in person, as the phonecall was a struggle with understanding each other due to accents.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

As they have reimbursed you the money you paid for sitting together they have done all they need to do with regards to that part of it.

I know their t&cs state "From time to time for operational, safety or security reasons we may need to assign or re-assign seats, even after boarding the aircraft. Therefore we can not always guarantee your seat selection." but I haven't seen anything else in the t&cs about seating children. Children younger than 14 fly on their own all the time, so are quite capable. I don't know how they could keep to that anyway, when people are free to book whichever seats they want.

Edited: 11:25 am, July 21, 2013
Darlington, United...
10. Re: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up

This is taken off jet2 web site:

Can children under the age of 14 travel alone?

No, children under the age of 14 years can only travel if accompanied by a person aged 16 years or over who will take full responsibility for them. Special conditions apply to some countries of origin and destination.

I am a responsible parent to whom I wish to look after my children because that is my role as a parent, i am still responsible be it that they are 2 or 13 they are still children at they end of the day, & my responsibility we are going on a family holiday I made sure by pre booking seats a year ago we would & are all to be seated together they should not offer a service that they can breach when they feel like it, taking money off four other people for the same seats as we paid for, they were not willing to give us our money back (till we asked to speak to a supervisor)or even have the common courtesy to contact me of there changes they had made.

If I wanted to change my seats when the flight is next week do you think they would let me, I think not..

I think you are missing my point which is I paid for a service that has been breached a week before my flight without any regard to contact me with the changes they have made.

Reply to: Pre booked seats jet2 they now split us up
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted