We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

premium economy

Hobart Tasmania
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
premium economy

Planning a trip to London from Sydney. I'm 6ft 2, dodgy knees and hate the trip. Been looking at Premium Economy flights on numerous airlines. Fares range from 'on special' $4000.00 to $6000.00 per person. Economy flights are all about $2000.00 on average. Now if this was a car or something similar I was buying I could see what the extra cash was worth. With flight tickets I'm not going to see the difference until the money has gone and I'm sitting on the plane.

Is the difference in price worth it?

Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: premium economy

Have a look at Royal Brunei business class out of Melbourne.... bigger seats (but don't serve alcohol)

Edited: 8:49 pm, July 20, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: premium economy

Read the website for the airline (any decent website will have pages for each cabin class) and place a value on those benefits.

Nobody can say whether it's worth it for YOU other than yourself.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
658 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: premium economy

Having flown PE on Air NZ from Auk to LA, I would say it is worth the extra money. However if you are wanting to stay with the economy option add an exit door seat into the fare. At least you will be able to stretch out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: premium economy

Would also keep an eye out for good business class deals as well. Plenty of good airlines like Etihad and Malaysian have great business class fares for around $6000 as well.

Worth considering.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: premium economy

Having flown PE on Virgin Atlantic to Cape Town and back (12 hours each way) and also having done the flight a few times in economy, I would definitely say PE was worth the extra money. The seats are wider and have more recline and are pretty comfortable. The PE cabin is smaller and quieter and even though I rarely sleep on planes, I did manage an hour or two. My husband, who can sleep on planes, got at least 4 hours sleep at one go, as opposed to the hour he manages when in economy. I'm guessing other airlines PE product would be similar, so definitely go for it if you can.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: premium economy

"Is the difference in price worth it?" - As others have said it's a matter of personal choice as some will say yes, others no.

I would add that you might want to bear in mind that when you have moved up a travel class from Economy to Premium Economy or Business it can make it even harder to go backwards to Economy in the future - what you've never had you've never missed but once you've done it then the Economy experience just seems so much worse.

7. Re: premium economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 23, 2014