We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

reviews: 34
In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

We are flying to Vegas in a couple of weeks from Gatwick, and have been informed by a friend that uses the route on a regular basis that the in flight meals have been cut quite considerably.

Could anyone confirm or negate this please, and maybe highlight what meals are available on this route?

Very many thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
reviews: 50
1. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

Unless flying Upper Class, then don't expect a lot. They have really cut back in economy and premium economy.

If you are travelling with children, I would certainly buy some fruit, food, snax etc from either Boots or WH Smiths after you go through security. That way, you can get their "meal deal" and can take the juice or water included in the deal on board the aircraft.

The so called "full British breakfast" inbound to LGW was, quite frankly sh1t.

There was no bread roll, no juice, a miserable couple of inches of weak coffee served in a paper cup, and I honestly wish they hadn't bothered at all and just served a cereal bar or a muffin, and some decent OJ and a decent cup of coffee.

If you are inclined to like a nibble with your drinks in flight, buy your own Pringles, or cheese biscuit snax, because the size of the bag they grudgingly serve isn't enough to keep a mouse going.

Been travelling with VAA for many years, and years ago, it felt like something funky and fun. Now, their product has been pard to the absolute bare minimum, and doesn't even begin to live up to their overdone hype.

Edited: 2:45 pm, July 20, 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 113
2. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

Would agree with what Mondial said but add that you can check the trip reports section on www.v-flyer.com as posters often include the menu with their review.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
3. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

Definitely take your own snacks on board as quite frankly, much as I like VA, the food is truly dreadful. On the flight to Vegas, the first meal will be dinner/lunch. You can expect a very tiny tub of some sort of salad as a starter, an inedible main course and a small desert. There used to be cheese and biscuits but no longer. I'm not even sure if you still get a roll as I don't eat any of the food. Mid flight you should get an ice-cream. An hour or so before landing you will get "afternoon tea", consisting of small sandwiches and maybe a biscuit of some sort. Coming home, that meal will be replaced by a very bad breakfast!!! This is just my opinion of course but it is echoed by many others on this forum and the Air Travel forum.

Ramsgate, United...
reviews: 59
4. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

It's a local plot.

They serve duff stuff on the plane, where you are lumbered with their choice, then when you get to Vegas you're more willing to spend $$$ on getting some great food.

You must try Strip Burger at the north end of the Fashion Mall.

Best Burgers and Fries I've every experienced!

Hugo

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

You can get some info if you check out the reviews on the www.airlinequality.com website as people usually also review the food but I always take snacks on flights as the food is very hit and miss on all airlines not just Virgin.

reviews: 34
6. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

Many thanks folks for your frank and honest opinions regards the in flight meals; confirms what we had been told and looks like a pit-stop in WHSmith's will be needed

Ramsgate, United...
reviews: 59
7. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

Google 'Graze'

or go straight to: http://www.graze.com/uk/

They do some great snacks.

Ideal size for flight.

They even post them to you!

......at least they do in the UK!

Hugo

Edited: 7:33 am, July 22, 2013
8. Re: In flight meals on Virgin - Gatwick to Vegas route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 24, 2014