We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accidentally put wrong name into booking

Leeds, United...
reviews: 1
accidentally put wrong name into booking

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Flight with British Airways to New York.

I accidentally put the wrong persons name in the booking. I've also accidentally put the wrong date of birth in too.

Spent an hour waiting for British Airways to answer the call, but had to hang up as had work. Will try again tomorrow.

What are the chances that i can make a change?

39 replies to this topic
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

Some airlines allow 24 hours to fix mistakes of this type. It is law in the US. Not sure of BA's rules, but the sooner you get to them the better. Also see if you can do it online.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

Call them and ask. It's the only way you'll find out. If you've entered the name and details of a completely different person it's likely going to be tough to change. It's possible that BA may allow you to cancel the booking without penalty (and then book again) IF you get it sorted within 24 hours of booking. After that you're probably going to have a problem.

Leeds, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

Did this about 2 months ago .... not really confident if i'm honest that BA will help me.

uk
reviews: 134
4. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

If you had called within 24 hours then feedback from other forums is you would have a reasonable chance.

At this stage though it would simply appear as if the first person you booked the ticket for - entering different first name, different surname, different date of birth - can no longer travel and rather than lose the ticket ( which I assume is non refundable) you are trying to get it switched to another person.

I reckon any reasonable person would have great difficulty believing it was possible to enter three completely different pieces of data accidentally especially since if you didn't know their date of birth you'd have to ask them (in which case they'd have queried it, since they were not the one flying, apparently). If you DID know their date of birth you would know them well in which case it's not credible you would then put in an entirely different first name and surname.

UK
reviews: 77
5. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

What are the chances that i can make a change?

---------

After 2 months? Without paying for a new ticket?

Zero.

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

yes, I don't think any mistakes were initially made.

this is an enquiry about transferring the ticket to another pax.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 100
7. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

Lien, I've often wonder if that's what people are doing, because we see so many posts from people who don't know how to spell their own names, or whether they are a man or a woman :)

8. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, July 20, 2013

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 21
9. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

You accidentally put the wrong name AND the wrong date of birth lol. In future don't book tickets your self or at least be honest and just say you want to transfer the ticket to another passengers name

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
10. Re: accidentally put wrong name into booking

Wrong name and wrong date of birth done about 2 months ago and now trying to change it; Yeah right.

Reply to: accidentally put wrong name into booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted