We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Singapore Airlines flight

sheffield
reviews: 36
Booking Singapore Airlines flight

Hi,

We're looking to book to fly from Heathrow to Dunedin (NZ). I'm quite keen to fly with SA, and on SA's website the only route they appear to provide for our dates is Singapore - Christchurch - Dunedin. When I search the same dates on Skyscanner an all SA flight comes up as Singapore - Brisbane - Dunedin. I guess the last leg is a code-share with VirginAustralia. This route is more attractive because it's broken up better, with better connecting times.

No matter how much I search, I can't find this route on SA's website. If I book with the 3rd party travel agent via skyscanner then I save £500 so it's not insignificant, however I'm keen to book direct with SA so that I have cancellation/seat selection/re-arranging options.

Is there a way to play around with routes a bit more on SA's website? All a bit confusing - not booked long distance before! If I had to book with an agent, do any provide all the things you'd get with booking direct with SA?

Thanks!

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

If I had to book with an agent, do any provide all the things you'd get with booking direct with SA?

==============

They could provide a lot more.... a lot more stress, hassle and grief. The £500 saving will probably not even exist.

These third parties often bait you in with a low price, you pay, then they'll delay sending you anything or asking for photocopies of credit cards etc and finally spin you loads of spiel about the price having gone up in the mean time. You may then have difficulty getting through when you want to cancel.

Honestly, you'd have more joy putting your love spuds in a blender than booking with some of the third parties you see on here. Do yourself a massive favour and book direct with SA.

Edited: 5:57 pm, July 18, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

Oh and I must add that if by any chance the third party does manage to book you on a flight, should there be any changes in schedule you would have to go through the agent rather than SA direct.

Suffice to say the customer service at these cheap third parties often ranges from severely lacking at best to non existant at worst.

sheffield
reviews: 36
3. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

Cheers, that's really handy - i'll give the agent a swerve I think. Will try phoning SA to see if this route exists. if not I'll lump it and go via Christchurch.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
4. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

Book direct with SA, for all the reason mentioned by MrM. It may sound tempting the £££ difference but when it comes down to it its just not worth it most of the time.

...got to love those love spuds, that made me laugh

Madrid
reviews: 7
5. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

Try a multi-city booking LHR-SIN-BNE-Dunedin.If that does not solve the issue you may need to call.

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

alternatively - try a real, live travel agent. old-fashioned, i know, but they do still exist. you can always consult with one with no obligation to purchase, and sometimes they can access deals/routes which you won't find elsewhere. for complicated itineraries, they can be a real help.

just be sure you know what you are buying, and exactly what you require.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 46
7. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

FYI, Singapore Airlines' airline code is actually SQ. SA belongs to South African Airlines ...... would be funny if you went via Capetown ;-)

8. Re: Booking Singapore Airlines flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 21, 2014