We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To select or not select seats?

Pelham Manor, New...
reviews: 12
To select or not select seats?

We are four people and the only four seats left are in the back of the plane, scattered, and middle seats. Should we select those seats and then ask the ticket agent to rearrange us? Or, should I not select them with the chance of being bumped to the exit row.

We will be flying on Jetblue.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: To select or not select seats?

"Should we select those seats and then ask the ticket agent to rearrange us?" - If that's all that's left I'd select them but don't expect the agent to rearrange them if that involves moving others

"Or, should I not select them with the chance of being bumped to the exit row." - I can't see any reason why you think you would be bumped to the exit row simply because you are seated at different locations on the plane.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: To select or not select seats?

Which airline, and flight number? It may make a difference.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 212
3. Re: To select or not select seats?

There is no reason to expect your group will be moved to the exit row, and also no reason to expect that anyone will sort out your seats and reassign you so you are all together. I'd select the seats that are still available. Some seats are almost always assigned at the gate, but they rarely assign seats together at the gate. The GA will not ask people to give up aisle seats so you are most likely going to sit in the middle. It is an unfortunate consequence of booking reservations near your flight date.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 105
4. Re: To select or not select seats?

If you don't select them, the flight could get oversold without enough volunteers and some fraction of your part may be left going on a different schedule with equally bad seats.

On the other hand, if you do select them, and the flight gets oversold, you could be the volunteer.

I don't know if the compensation is different for voluntary bumping or involuntary bumping. Either way, your choice of seats is up in the air.

Houston, TX
reviews: 25
5. Re: To select or not select seats?

Take the seats. Then when you board you (and not the flight attendant) could ask others if they would move to accommodate your desire to sit with the other members of your party. Don't expect anyone with an aisle seat, an exit row seat, any other seat they have paid an upgrade for, a seat near the front of the plane or with other members of their party or anyone who is tired of people expecting them to move for someone else's convenience to switch to a middle seat in the back of the plane.

Pelham Manor, New...
reviews: 12
6. Re: To select or not select seats?

JetBlue Flight 1639

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
7. Re: To select or not select seats?

Select seats now. Be poised and ready at your computer so that the second OLCI - on line check in - opens you can see what will be available then and move if you wish.

If jetBue is like other airlines then some seats will be shown as unavailable now but will open for selection at OLCI.

Edited: 6:34 pm, July 18, 2013
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
8. Re: To select or not select seats?

If the only seats left are middle seats in the back I would undoubtably book them and frequently check back to see if you can get two people to have seats together. In the event if an oversold flight those without seats are in a risky situation.

You can count on the elites snatching up the exit rows early so I would not count on getting those at all.

Canada
reviews: 27
9. Re: To select or not select seats?

Absolutely book the available seats now....and like TP says...do an OLCI at the exact moment it opens to try and scramble to be seated more forward in the cabin. You don't want to be heading to the Airport without a seat selection in place( of any kind)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 212
10. Re: To select or not select seats?

If you are on a domestic flight they will start to upgrade elite flyers as early as five days before the flight. Some of those vacated coach seats will be upgrades, but there is occasionally a bit of a shuffle starting five days out so I would start watching the seating chart closely five days before the flight as well as being online the minute that online check-in starts.