We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

There seems to be very limited seclection of twin seats on this 3-3-3 configuration flight. SeatGuru mentions that the twin seats in row 39 do not recline which is not ideal for our outward overnight flight.

Seats 24E and 24F appear to be two seats together but are classed as standard rather than twin seats on BA's website so I'm wondering if there's a catch?

SeatGuru has three maps for BA's 777 aircraft but none of them match the BA seatmap window that displays when reserving seats. (Also, the displayed seatmap on BA's site doesn't match their seatmap info elsewhere on their site so maybe the configuration has changed recently and has not been updated on all pages.)

If anyone has any experience of flying economy on this route, I'd appreciate any advice about selecting the best seats!

Many thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Bracknell, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

I *think* they are staggered seats so not actually properly next to each other, hence not classified as a twin.

San Diego
reviews: 7
2. Re: Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

I have this same question. Did you ever find out the answer?

Thank you,

Danielle Tso

Bracknell, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

The reason I think that is that I have previously flown this route and witnessed two seats in the staggered arrangement instead of the usual row of three or two seats. However as I flew before the OP's query I cannot confirm that it relates to the seat numbers enquired about. BA don't tend to miss a trick to charge extra for seats so if they are not down as a twin assume they are not properly next to each other would be my suggestion.

Edited: 11:22 am, November 09, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 46
4. Re: Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male

If anyone is still interested in an answer to this question I advise to re-post it on the very active Maldives forum where many regulars - or Maldives addicts - take this flight. Weave considered pre-booking the twin seats but decided against it as we did not want to be near the toilets. Instead, we always book 2 aisle seats across or behind each other and then look for an offer for an upgrade at check-in which we get 50% of the time.

Sometimes the economy is quite empty and as the arm rests are flexible you can end up with a row to yourself and lie down. Other times it has been very busy and people who have not pre booked ended up not seated together and in middle seats (this happened to a distraught honeymoon couple in early September on the return leg). My husband actually moved rows to enable another couple sit together (he still had an aisle seat, just a bit further away from me). Moving is tricky for me, as I pre-book vegetarian meals.

The flights travels on to Sri Lanka these days, and also starts off there, so more busy than in previous years, but still our favourite route to the Maldives as it is non-stop and we connect with regional flights with the same airline.

Reply to: Seat Allocation - British Airways - Gatwick to Male
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted