We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying with someone elses credit card

Edinburgh Scotland
reviews: 49
Paying with someone elses credit card

I have just booked flights for my partner and I to fly from Edinburgh to Bangkok and for my brother and his wife to fly from Gatwick to Bangkok with Turkish airlines. I paid for them all with my credit card. I have know noticed on the confirmation email that the credit card the flights were paid with must be presented at check in. As we are flying from Scotland and England at virtually the same time how can I get round this? Panicking!!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

"As we are flying from Scotland and England at virtually the same time how can I get round this? " - This is a fairly common anti fraud measure - your best option would be to contact the airline for their advice.

Kent
reviews: 41
2. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

i booked my daughter's flight to oz using my card but she wasn't asked for it at the airport, i was there just in case, but yes i think i would check with the airline

reviews: 78
3. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

This happened to my son. I paid for his ticket with my credit card. I emailed the airline and they said he should have a copy of the front and back of the card with a note from me stating that I bought the ticket for him. I simply emailed my son this info and he printed it out and presented it at the ticket counter. No problem at all.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

I book flights for others on my credit card.If I am not flying with them I must confirm the payment with the airline.

I go into their office and present my card, photo ID, passport, and they make a note on the booking all is ok.

A security measure I have no problems with. Call Turkish to explain and they will tell you how and what they want.

Regards Pat.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

Contact Turkish immediately and discuss it. But I think you may be able to sort this out.

There was a thread on here a few months ago with someone in a similar situation. They were told that the card holder had to go to a Turkish Airlines sales office with the card (and ID) and sign an affidavit. TK has such an office at Edinburgh Airport.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6330567…

If you are based in Edinburgh then a trip to the airport to see Turkish there may solve the problem. If it does, then make sure your brother has a copy of any paperwork, and don't take chances on the day. If you can, co-ordinate your check ins so that your brother is safely checked in before you go through security.

turkishairlines.com/en-int/…offices

Good luck.

Edited: 5:19 pm, July 16, 2013
Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

Hi

this is one reason to book thru a third party..

I was trying to book a flight for my wife on Korean Air direct they would not accept my card as I was not flying with her. went thru Orbitz same price, same flight, everything the same no problems.

Australia
reviews: 28
7. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

Same as Patrick B #4

I have done the same - not with Turkish Airlines though, but you would like to think they would work to similar practices.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
8. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

This is not an answer to your question but rather another question.

Every day thousands of people travel whose tickets are bought by their employers. Everything from small companies with 1 or 2 employees to vast multinationals and governments. Surely they don't all get photocopies of the cc with which their ticket was purchased. How do they resolve the issue?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

Eva, same as sawadeeka suggests in #6. The companies book through travel agents. Then it's the agent that's carrying the risk of the credit card being used fraudulently, not the airline, so the airline doesn't need to ask for the card.

And sawadeeka is correct. This sort of situation (buying a ticket for someone else) is a good situation where a (reputable) travel agent can be better than booking directly with the airline.

Edited: 11:24 pm, July 16, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
10. Re: Paying with someone elses credit card

Thanks USBT, I guess that makes sense, however I'm not convinced that all companies book their staff through TAs these days.

I know of quite a few who have a staffer who gets online and books staff travel directly with the airlines using a company cc. That's what happens in our company and that's why I asked the question.

To date, no one has been asked to produce anything but ID at the airport and that's why I was wondering how it could be dealt with.