We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

West Yorkshire
reviews: 120
What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

I'm looking at flights to and from San Diego and one of the options for the return flight is a change at Portland and Amsterdam but a Stop in Fresno. It doesn't give times for the stop and as I've never come across this, I'm not sure what it entails.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

Plane lands, some people get off, some people get on, flight continues - just like buses or trains

Edited: 1:58 am, July 16, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 78
2. Re: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

Stopovers are longer than 24 hours as a definition.

West Yorkshire
3. Re: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

A very very good question, as you're raising the whole issue of airline speak.

Flight numbers do NOT necessarily mean non stop services. They can be referred to as "direct" but that's not non stop. In your case case sounds like the flight originates in San Diego (SAN) and flies to Portland (PDX), but with a stop (not a stopover) in Fresno (FAT). That, in airline speak is referred to as a"direct" flight, even though it's not non-stop.

So you will have a stop, possibly staying on the aircraft, possibly having to change to another en route to PDX. In all likelihood in your case, as FAT is a small airport, it would be the same plane, you'll unload some pax, pick up others, and continue to PDX.

BUT, that isn't always the case. For example (and all airlines do this so this is just one example I know of), United 837 from San Francisco to Bangkok has a stopover at Tokyo Narita, and often a plane change (747 to 777), and you must deplane, reclear security and re-board. AND, If the inbound to 837 to NRT were badly delayed, the onward flight to BKK may still depart, not waiting for the inbound flight (and pax) on the same (direct) flight number.

The other issue that raises its head is frequent flyer credit. "Direct" but one stop flight numbers give you frequent flyer miles based on the non-stop mileage, even though you have flown more miles and had he inconvenience of landing somewhere else en route.

So, while you may not have to worry too much, the concept of "Direct" vs "Non Stop" needs to be made clear.

PS (and a big one) - Can't you get a non-stop from SAN-PDX on Alaska (Delta code-shared)? Much easier and convenient than this "direct" flight you have now?

Edited: 2:56 am, July 16, 2013
West Yorkshire
5. Re: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover

Thanks for the explanation USBusinessTraveller. I haven't booked the flights yet as I can't get the right combination of price, times and layovers, that and I can't make a decision to save my life, so I will keep looking.

Reply to: What does STOP mean as opposed to layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted