We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

Boston...
reviews: 252
Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

I'm leaving this Friday on my first trip to Asia and for the longest traveling I've ever done in one go. Wondering what the pros around here think of my plan?

Our first flight is Friday at 5:30AM EST. We arrive 29 hours later at 10:30PM local time in Cambodia. The time difference between home and Cambodia is 12 hours.

My current plan is this:

Stay up all night Thursday night since I'll leave for the airport anyway around 3:30AM.

We have a 2.5 hour flight from Boston to Chicago. Then a long layover. I'll continue to stay awake until our departure from Chicago to Seoul which is at 1PM EST, 1AM in Cambodia. This is a 14 hour flight. Right when we board, I'll take an Ambien (which I have used on flights before), put my eye mask on and try to get some sleep.

I'll set my alarm to wake me by 10AM local time in Cambodia. From there stay away for the rest of the flight and through my connection in Seoul.

Arrive in Cambodia at 1030PM. Head to the hotel. Crash from travel exhaustion.

Wake up the next morning, feeling semi refreshed.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

You're over-thinking it. To me, the key is to just get on the local schedule as soon as you get there. You're going to be tired when you arrive, but it will be night time so go to the hotel and go to sleep and don't worry about the rest of it. On the trip over, if you're awake, do something. If you're tired, try to sleep.

Also, personally I avoid sleeping pills on flights. I think it just messes up your body more. Especially in your case, you can go to bed when you arrive because you arrive at night. The last thing you want is to be knocked out on the flight and then be awake when you get there. You want to be tired when you arrive so you can go right to sleep at the hotel.

Edited: 6:33 pm, July 15, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 41
2. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

I'd get a good nights sleep on the night before you go. (go to bed at 6pm) Staying awake that whole night and then doing a long-layover in Chicago won't be fun. Then on the 14 hour flight - take the Ambien and sleep. After that - wing it. You'll be tired anyway.

The flight from Vancouver to Sydney is 16 hours. My daughter took half a Halcion (she's used one before so no surprises) and she said it was the best thing ever - not just for sleep, but because it shortened the flight by 7 hours or whatever...I heartily approve of sleeping aids if you're used to them.

Have fun.

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 84
3. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

Good Luck - in theory it works. But, I've flown to India 5 times and it never plays out the way I expect it to.

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

just let your body do its thing on the way over and sort out the jetlag on arrival.

always bemusing to see people mentioning (pseudo recommending) specific drugs on here.

imo, that's dangerous.

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

....bit of stretch lien. I never RECOMMENDED anything, just mentioned the actual name so that if you do happen to be a person who is comfortable with medication you will know what is what. If you're not - move right along.

My doctor and I decide what works for me (or my daughter in this case) and that is what I am talking about.

Edited: 8:37 pm, July 15, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

If your flight is in economy I wouldn't bother with any tricks. Get a decent night's sleep beforehand and let your body send you to sleep on the plane journeys or not. You'll be shattered when you arrive and go get to sleep and get up (reasonably) early the next day.

The only time I do the stay awake all night thing is if I'm flying business class, and that only works if you're very disciplined. That is, go straight to sleep after take off and don't have the meal on the TPAC flight.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
7. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

I don't take pills but if they work for you....the dangerous part is taking pills for the first time on a flight and, worse still, as some Einsteins do, taking pills prescribed for someone else.

You have more control over your body than most if you can 'plan' when and go how long you sleep.

I would agree with Wes. Set you watch to destination time as soon as the aircraft doors shut. Sleep when you can, rest with your eyes closed if you can't and deal with the consequences when you arrive. Don't stress yourself out if you are awake when you think you should be asleep. You're lucky in that you arrive late at night so no matter how much or little sleep you get on the flight, you can get a good nights sleep on arrival and hit the ground running in the morning.

South Pole
reviews: 39
8. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

"I'd get a good nights sleep on the night before you go. (go to bed at 6pm) Staying awake that whole night and then doing a long-layover in Chicago won't be fun. Then on the 14 hour flight - take the Ambien and sleep. After that - wing it. You'll be tired anyway"

that looks like a recommendation to me.

Centerville, Ohio
reviews: 1,263
9. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

First, fly Delta Business Elite or any airline's Elite program.

First rate beds and service guarantee sleep, comfort, and care.

Earn the points for your trip

Calgary, Canada
10. Re: Sleeping plan for 30 hours of travel (US to SE Asia)

Oh good heavens. He mentioned the Ambien first.

Let me re-word that. "Take the ****** (after discussing it with your doctor, naturally) and sleep"

Is it forbidden to mention brand names on TA, or just drug brand names?? News to me if it is....because I have seen numerous mentions of medications, cell phones, computers, credit cards, hotels, airlines, foods etc etc etc.

Edited: 9:04 pm, July 15, 2013