We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

mojacar
reviews: 8
? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

Please can anyone advise if compensation can be claimed for five hour flight delay due to

bird strike to aircraft. Apparently our flight was hit by birds coming into Almeria airport today and whilst waiting for the return flight to Gatwick we were herded back to the departure area with no explanation,. Eventually the Captain explained that there had been bird strike on approach to the airport and he wanted the engines checking. We were told that an engineer would be coming from either Alicante or Malaga which is some distance away and given no indication of when we would be on our way. Eventually my wife found out on the easyjet website that a replacement plane was coming from Luton which meant another two and a half hour delay. Our flight was due to leave at 10.05 this morning and eventually left ALmeria at 3.20 this afternoon. Does anyone know it is possible to claim compensation, as I have missed booked and paid for connecting journeys to Leicester. Thank you

37 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
reviews: 3
1. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone on here saying that bird strike is one of the things exempt from compensation as it was outwith the airlines control. Try claiming on your holiday insurance!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

"Please can anyone advise if compensation can be claimed for five hour flight delay due to bird strike to aircraft."

In my view this would be classed as exceptional circumstances as there was nothing the airline could do to prevent it and therefore no compensation although the airline had a duty of care responsibility during the delay.

A bird strike can be very serious and the captain was correct in checking the plane was airworthy - you might recall the US Air flight that had to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River, New York as a result of a bird strike..

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 32
3. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

A bird strike is out of the airlines control, so I very much doubt you will be able to claim compensation. Missed onward travel has nothing to do with the airline.

Stockport, United...
reviews: 47
4. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

Come on why would you think easy jet will pay compo for something completely out of there control ? I know it's inconvenient but sounds like an extraordanary circumstance ! Can't predict bird strikes .

UK
reviews: 77
5. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

I have missed booked and paid for connecting journeys to Leicester

======

Claim on your travel insurance.

Airlines don't pay for missed things like this, there is a fixed fee for delays caused by non extraordinary events. This isn't one of those.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

Airlines can control a lot but the positioning and movement of birds is not one of them.

Claim out of pocket expenses via your travel insurance.

Compo is all very well but It's the birds families that people should be thinking about at this time.

uk
reviews: 71
7. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

That made mé laugh Mr. Marcos!

Seriously, would the OP have prefered the plane wasn't checked but departed ón time?

Claiming ón your travel insurance is the way to go.

Newport...
reviews: 26
8. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

5 hour delay is better than a flight taking off on time but may be damaged enough to crash..

the captain did the right thing compo crazy culture !!

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 162
9. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

Sorry, OP, I'm another who thinks that this incident is extraordinary and outside the control of the airline. You should be gald that the aircraft was checked, as it sounds like something was foudn that could not be repaired speedily and so a replacement aircraft was called for.

In the circumstances, having to buy more tickets to Leicester, which cna be reclaimed on your insurance, seems like a minor concern!

England
reviews: 22
10. Re: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike

In the grand scheme of things, a 5 hour delay is nothing compared to arriving alive. Would the OP have been happier if an airport worker had just taken a quick glance at the aircraft, kicked the tyres and signed it off as fit to fly? I doubt it somehow!

How come everybody seems to have an inflated and unreasonable sense of entitlement for their inconvenience/ disappointment rather than just putting certain things down to experience?

None of the travel insurance policies I have dealt with and administered over the last 25+ years will pay for out of pocket costs, just a set

amount of compensation for a certain period of delay.

My sincere advice is to let it go and move on.

Reply to: ? Compensation for flight delay caused by bird strike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted