We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Hartford...
Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Heading to HK in Oct 2013 for 7 night, it was recommended we consider a side trip and spend 3 nights somewhere else. This will be our only trip to Asia and want to make the best choice! Thinking of somewhere relaxing after seeing the hustle and bustle of HK...any recommendations welcome!!!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
1. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Guilin in China is worth visting. It is famous for its mountain scenery and is about a one hour flight from Hong Kong. You would need a visa for China though. Or if you prefer the beach there are places like Phuket in Thailand or Bali.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 78
2. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

or cebu is only a couple of hours away in the phillipines. Nice resorts, very friendly people, relaxing etc .

Edited: 12:07 am, July 15, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Macau is very easy, almost doable as a daytrip. You could probably see it several times over in three days, mind.

Only trip to Asia? Why do you say that?

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

ask on the Hong Kong forum.

imo u don't have to leave Hong Kong to get away from the hustle and bustle.

plenty of outer islands to visit and stay on as well as the coastal area to the north of the city

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Phuket (Thailand) was mentioned. You can also fly to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand for some beautiful scenery. DragonAir flies from HKG and Air Asia from Macau.

One thing to bear in mind. If you're looking at flying this side trip on separate tickets, be careful if you're looking to "connect" your return to Hong Kong with your return flights to the US. You need plenty of contingency if you have separate tickets because if you miss check in at HKG - for whatever reason including your side trip flight being delayed or canceled - your ticket to the US will be canceled and you'll have to buy a new one way flight home at the walk up fare. So make sure you return to Hong Kong at least the day before your return home.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 32
6. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

There are some lovely beaches in Hong Kong itself ... and some very luxurious resorts.

sino-hotels.com/Hong_Kong_Gold_Coast_Hotel/e…

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
7. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

Koh Samui in Thailand ...direct flights on Bangkok Airlines.

Bali ...several fligth options.

Phuket ...multiple flight options.

Cebu in Phillipines ...not sure about direct flights.

However, if this is likely to be your only trip to Asia, I would press you to consider Beijing or Tokyo ...both fascinating cities with a lot of culture and history. The sun and sand can be had elsewhere.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
8. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

The only place with good weather for a beach holiday in October is Bali but I personally would stay in HK and do an overnight trip to Macau.

Singapore
reviews: 105
9. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

You should look at what offers you a direct flight out of HK, then what your interests are. For beaches I agree with Bali but not Cebu as its beaches are not really great. There's Boracay in Phils, not sure about direct flights from HK. If you look north, there are several amazing cities to consider (if you consider cities relaxing) - Tokyo would top my list but there are also Taipei, Seoul, Kyoto. Shanghai is amazing but probably even more hectic than HK (but go there if you're interested in seeing what the future looks like). Finally, for something completely different, how about Siem Reap for Angkor or Kota Kinabalu for Borneo?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 34
10. Re: Looking for short side trip recommendation from Hong Kong

I'm with Chrella.

Although I love all the other suggestions, especially Tokyo, I think staying in HK and Macau would be a better side trip.