We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short layover in Amsterdam

Minneapolis...
reviews: 14
short layover in Amsterdam

My Delta flight from Minneapolis (Nov. 2nd) to Kilimanjaro has been changed so our layover in Amsterdam is only 1 hour and 45 minutes. The travelers on the Tanzania forum believe this will be enough time between flights. We will be spending the one day in Arusha prior to a safari, so if our luggage does get delayed it is not really terrible.

The other possible option is to switch to a longer multi-stop flight (24 hours +) for a layover of 2 hours and 5 minutes to 3 hours in AMS. This adds the element of possible difficulties with an additional flight change with luggage change.

What do you think?

5 replies to this topic
Newton Abbot...
reviews: 1
1. Re: short layover in Amsterdam

You should be fine with 1 hour 45 mins, I've been through AMS with a lot shorter transfers than that dozens of times.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 67
2. Re: short layover in Amsterdam

minimum connection time is 40 minutes so no problem

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: short layover in Amsterdam

I certainly would not change if the alternate means an extra connection.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 14
4. Re: short layover in Amsterdam

From what I understand from the link going from the US to Tanzania is a Non Schengen to Non Schengen country. Does that mean we will not have to go through customs at the airport? We fly Delta to AMS and connect with KLM.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: short layover in Amsterdam

Correct. You would only clear immigration if you were entering or departing the Schengen area. You wouldn't clear customs anyway unless AMS was your final destination.

Reply to: short layover in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted